I - Seedling

2018. As the two of them sat across each other at a French restaurant, both could hypothetically tell that the other was only here at the moment, sparing their precious time off and taking a pause on their bustling lives for this encounter merely as a gesture of obedience to their families.

 As the two of them sat across each other at a French restaurant, both could hypothetically tell that the other was only here at the moment, sparing their precious time off and taking a pause on their bustling lives for this encounter merely as a ...

Bae Suzy knew nothing deeper about him, except for the fact that he is the son of Nam Sungmin, a lawyer and the candidate running for Minister of Justice. If there is an extra information she is aware of,  it is that he is a law practitioner too and is working at their own firm.

Nam Joohyuk had no further background awareness of her, except for the fact the she is the daughter of Bae Seok-kyu, a doctor and businessman who owns and leads Yulhan Medical Center. He could only expect that she is a doctor too since he caught a glimpse of her in a scrub suit when he went once to their hospital.

Their fathers got acquainted when both served in the military, and it was an old joke between the two men that if one had a son and the other had a daughter, it would be great if they introduce them to each other in hopes of getting them in a nuptial. And with that, the unforeseen reunion of their patriarchs came with a lad and a lady crossing paths.

As Suzy took her time to observe the man seated in front of her, she couldn't help but wonder why he had a bruise above his cheek and a gauze patch on his chin. A normal guy would look all dashing for a date and would dress to impress, but here he was, wearing casual clothes and seemingly unconcerned about the irregularities that marked his face. Not that it made him any less handsome; in fact, he looked better than she initially thought.

"May I ask what happened to you?" Suzy blurted out, her curiosity transforming her silent thoughts into spoken words without hesitation.

"What do you mean?" Joohyuk asked innocently before realizing what she could have meant. "Ah, you mean my face?" He added, seeking clarity regarding her earlier question.

Suzy nodded awkwardly, slightly shy about bringing up such a non-basic topic on their first meeting without their fathers around. She worried that he might misunderstand her for being nosy.

"I went to your hospital and already got myself checked," Joohyuk answered casually while cutting a chunk of his steak. He then looked up at her, locking eyes with an open gaze.

"I had a little accident, that's why," he elaborated vaguely but gave her a reassuring smile as if to say it was okay to discuss the matter further.

Suzy nodded again, this time more confidently. "Why don't you recuperate at home? Looks like the laceration is still fresh. You should have told your father that we could meet some other time," she suggested.

He chuckled at her remark. "Is that a subtle way of saying you don't want me here?" He asked playfully.

"No, that's not what I mean," Suzy replied gently yet firmly.