VII - Homecoming

The horizon was filled with golden grace as the risen sun worked its daylight magic. The beaming rays seeped into Sujin's room as Suzy slid open the curtains, drawing them full wide to welcome the view of the soft glowing sky.

"Sujin-ah ireona," she spoke softly as she attacked her asleep son with kisses to stir him awake. Defying her attempt, the little boy did not budge.

Seeing his persistence, Suzy's eyes narrowed a little as a playful smile adorned her face. "Aigo, that didn't work, huh?" she mumbled before proceeding onto her next act. Her fingers danced energetically along the sides of his tiny figure, tickling him as a final resort.

Sujin's eyes slowly opened and his smile grew wider by the second. "Eomma!" he eventually screamed along with unstoppable giggles as his mother kept electrifying his senses.

Suzy finally stopped, laughing as well for her own silliness. "Mian, I had to do that my handsome bunny," she uttered while helping the little boy get up.

"Kaja, you're making your visitor wait too long," she hinted while fixing the bed for a moment before finally going out with Sujin.

His brows furrowed in confusion at first, not taking much time before his face suddenly lit up due to a pleasant thought. "Appa?" he ardently guessed.

Suzy just smiled back at him. "Molla," she played innocent to not spoil the surprise.

Sujin immediately held onto her arm, clenching his hands onto it. "Eomma, kaja!" he spoke enthusiastically as he pulled her along with him. Suzy did not resist and let her son take her wherever. She was just happy to watch him get hopeful, eager and excited all at once.

As they reached the living room, Sujin was greeted only by a luggage and duffel bag placed on the floor. He eagerly looked around to spot any traces of his father, but to his disappointment, there was no one to be found. Suzy was puzzled as well. Even she didn't know where on earth Joohyuk was hiding.

Suddenly, a slightly audible sound came from outside the door. It was muffled and oddly unrecognizable from where they stood. Suzy swiftly made her way to the intercom, and was met with Joohyuk's face on the small screen. She quickly pulled the door open to let him in.

"I went out to get this," Joohyuk said with a smile. Suzy looked at his arms wrapped tightly around a box.

She looked at it for a moment and noticed the way he carried it was weird. He kept one hand steady on the lid like he was so afraid that everything inside would pop out. "Is it heavy?"  she asked while instinctively reaching out her arms to help him.

"Aniya," Joohyuk answered while pulling his arms away from her, not letting her fingers to get hold of the item. Suzy just nodded and sauntered back to the living room, having him follow her. 

"Appa!" Sujin shouted as he came running towards his father. Unfortunately, Joohyuk can't give a hug just yet because his arms were occupied. He lowered himself instead and kissed his little boy's cheek. They settled themselves down on the floor as Joohyuk finally laid the box he was carrying. He then looked at Suzy who remained standing there while watching them. With that, he tapped the empty space beside him and his lips pulled apart to speak inaudibly, "Sit here with us."

Suzy finally sat down across him so they were gathered around the mysterious package that piqued her interest since earlier. Before anything could be said or done, the box stirred by itself.

"Omo," Sujin uttered while slightly pulling back from his seat, his eyes darting to his father as if to ask what just happened. Even Suzy herself was startled a little. Joohyuk gently took her hands and placed them on either side of the lid, a sign for her to finally open it.