III - Considerate

Former Justice Minister Nam Sungmin stabbed by ex-convict. The headline blared on the screen, instantly giving Suzy chills as she saw the news flash at the confines of their home. Her heart skipped a beat as she listened to the details being reported.

"The lawyer was knifed after attending a close associate's conference at Gangnam-gu," the reporter continued. "He is currently receiving treatment at Yulhan Medical Center."

"Seolma." The word slipped out of Suzy's lips, her voice filled with both shock and sudden discernment. "Abeoji was the emergency patient." The realization hit her like a ton of bricks, leaving her breathless.

Suzy might be separated from Joohyuk now, but that didn't mean the genuine respect and care that had been shared between their families would simply vanish into thin air. Knowing that her father-in-law had been targeted and nearly killed sent waves of worry crashing over her.

As she sat there contemplating whether to rush back to the hospital to check on him while Sujin was still blissfully unaware in slumber, or to send her prayers and check on her mother-in-law through a phone call, another option popped up in her mind — a more daring one.

Should she also check on Joohyuk?

With each passing second that ticked away on the clock, Suzy felt an undeniable tug deep within her chest. After all, they may be apart now but they were once deeply connected souls who knew each other inside out.

As Suzy has finally decided which one to do first, she searched for her mother-in-law's phone number in her contacts and pressed dial. While the call was constantly ringing waiting for the other end to pick it up, she composed her thoughts. The foretell of how worried her mother by marriage might be destabilizes her own state of mind. She actually thinks of going back to the hospital for real, but she contemplates whether to bring Sujin with her or not as the child might be tired from his own circumstances earlier.

Finally, Joohyuk's mom answered. "Eomeoni," Suzy began, her voice filled with concern.

"Suzy-ah," the other responded with a tremble in her voice. There was a momentary pause as they both collected their emotions.

"Gwaenchaneuseyo? Are you at the hospital right now?" Suzy asked worriedly, desperate for any news about the situation at hand.

"Ne. Thankfully, my husband did not lose his consciousness. It would be more frightening if he did," her mother-in-law answered, the sound of mental exhaustion evident in her tone.

Suzy sighed in relief as she muttered under her breath, "Dahaengineyo. I wish you well and abeoji's fast recovery."

"Gomawo, Suzy-ah," came the heartfelt gratitude from Joohyuk's mother. Deep down within herself, she couldn't help but appreciate how Suzy had remained warm and caring towards them even after their separation. It truly showed their genuine bond and reflected well on her upbringing.

"I have to hang up, eomeoni," Suzy reminded gently. "I will see you later at the hospital. Please take good care of yourself too."

"Ne, gomawo. You too." Her mother-in-law replied with equal concern before their call ended abruptly.

- - -

Leaving Sujin in the capable hands of his babysitter, Suzy fixed herself up and headed out for a drive. The streets were quiet as she navigated through them, lost in her thoughts. Deciding to stop by a few stores first, Suzy bought a basket of assorted fresh fruits and also grabbed a handful of take-out snacks. It was a small gesture, but big enough to show her concern.