ch. 14

I let Susannah put me in a white dress with ruffles at the hem that tickled right above my knees as I walked. The sweetheart neckline popped against my skin that was now tanned and nearly sunburnt from the Fourth. My flats were comfortable and clean and I kicked off the heels as I rode in the passenger seat of Mom's car. "I don't know why you didn't let Jeremiah drive me, he's coming anyway," I said to her as I watched the scenery pass us by. The same route to the same country club, always.

"I know but," she started and then sighed. I felt her eyes hover on me as she drove and instead of replying, I pointed for her to watch the road. She did. "You just look so pretty and this is exciting, right? The whole debutant thing. I want to be apart of it."

I felt bad then and looked over at my mom. She had her head faced forward, a stoic look on her face that hid all real emotions from me. "It's more for Susannah, though, right?" I asked. "It's what she wanted for her last summer." Her last summer. Those words stung my throat like a million little bees swarming around, bumping into each other, getting pissed, and then stinging the first thing they come in contact with.

Mom visibility swallowed. Her throat moving up and down like she was swallowing a rock. "Yes, but, I never did the deb thing. I always thought it was dumb, you know? But you made friends."

"I wouldn't call them my friends," I told her. "And I have friends," I then corrected.

"Jeremiah and Conrad don't count."

"Belly and Steven, then." She glared over at me and I huffed, knowing she was right. Jeremiah and Corad were really my only friends. I had aquaintances, sure. People that were in my classes and I hung out with during our lunch breaks and a study group that I went to the library with but I didn't have a best friend, anyone other than Jeremiah. "I wouldn't call the deb girls my friends."

I hated to burst her imaginary bubble, but it was the truth. I liked them, sure. They were nice girls and decent company to have around, especially for something like this, but ultimately, I wouldn't call one of them if the Earth was shattering or if I couldn't stop crying. I wouldn't call them if I just wanted to grab ice cream for a night out. I tagged along with Belly, who really did need them. I had all I needed.

"Well, still. It's nice seeing you have fun." Mom pulled into the parking lot of the country club then and I immediately saw Jeremiah's Jeep parked by the front entrance. The window was down and I saw his arm hanging out of it, tapping the side of the door to whatever music he was listening to. I resisted the urge to jump out of the car before it even came to a stop and leaned over, kissing my mom on the cheek.

"Thanks for the ride," I said. She nodded her head and I got out of the car, skipping over to Jeremiah's. I slammed my hands down on the open window sill and yelled, "boo!"

"You got me," he deadpanned, rolling his eyes at my failed attempt to scare him. "I heard you skipping from across the parking lot." He looked down at my shoes. "Nice shoes."

I courtsied and tapped my toe against the car. "Thank you."

He shooed me away from the Jeep and I took a few steps back, letting him open up the door and get out. He took in my entire presence now that he can see me clearly. His eyes lingered on my legs, right where the ruffles hit my skin, and then they moved up to my chest. He wasn't starring in a rude way, like he was trying to undress me, but more in an admirable way. Like he wanted to memorize every inch of my body. "You look- wow."

I gave him a shy smile and he held out his hand for me to take. I do and he escorted me into the country club and up to the ballroom. It was the same ballroom the tea was held in last week except it was empty. No white table clothed tables with fancy gold chair and place settings. There wasn't a buffet of free food and drinks in the corner and soft music playing. It was just an empty room, the chairs stacked up against walls and all the girls and their escorts are standing around, waiting. Shayla and Steven waved at us as we walked in, Belly and Cam at their sides.