10

read between the lines

———

"That will be 189 pesos," I said after scanning all the products that the customer brought to the counter.

He left right after paying for what he bought.

It's nearly midnight at madalang na lang ang mga taong pumupunta ng convenience store but then that's why we're a convenience store, for when people who still wander the cold and dark road outside, like the one who just left, need something; be it food, drink, or any necessity.

I heaved a sigh and left the counter for a quick second to check the aisles.

It's a Wednesday night at nauna nang umalis si Kiwi kahit 'di ko naman talaga shift ngayon. It just happened that she needs to bring her cat to the vet so I insisted to take her shift. I didn't want to, honestly, pero kapag narinig ito ni Cider, whether I tell her or not because Kiwi would still talk to her either way, siguradong pagagalitan na naman niya ako.

Just like when she scolded me yesterday nang ikuwento ko sa kaniya ang tungkol sa performance activity na nirecommend sa akin ni Miss Peach.

Habang abala sa pag-aayos ng mga gamit sa aisle, I reminisced what happened yesterday.

When I reached the room 308 that day, I saw no one so I waited for a second or two nang may biglang dumating. She looked familiar with her messy bun, glasses, and pale complexion. In her arms were piles of paper and it took her some time before realizing my presence in the room.

Nang mapansin niya ako, she seemed surprised pero halos walang nagbago sa ekpresyon niya. Her face simply looked tired but when she faced me, it somehow brightened.

"Sorry, 'di kita napansin," she began. "Are you the one Miss Peach recommended?"

I nodded a yes.

"You are?"

"Nico," I answered, and paused. "Nicotine."

The girl slowly walked towards me with narrowed eyes, as though piercing right through my soul and reading every corner of my face like a book in a library. Bahagya siyang umikot habang patuloy akong pinagmamasdan. Somehow, I feel so judged, but not in a negative manner.

"You really are like him," she whispered and a grin slipped from the corner of her mouth.

When she finally stopped scrutinizing me, dali-dali itong may kinuha sa mga papel na kalalapag niya pa lamang sa malapit na lamesa.

Nilapitan niya ako at ini-abot ito. "I'm Citrus from the theater club,  Miss Peach is our adviser and as we needed someone to play the main role, she referred you. Sorry for the sudden notice but you– you look exactly like the character that I wrote."

Halos hindi ko na naintindihan ang mga sinabi niya dahil nakatuon lang ang atensyon ko sa papel na ibinigay niya sa akin. I scanned the contents and read the lines. Alam kong hindi ako mahilig magbasa but as I understand the lines, they felt like something.