3. Talata

That morning, while Amani stood in the balcony, she saw Bread Boy walking his little brother to the school at the end of her street. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and allowed his gaze to follow him with a focus intense enough, she knew he felt her eyes on him but still refused to look up.

"Amani!" Her Aunt called from inside.

"Yes," she ducked into the apartment, waiting for her eye to readjust to the dim light within the space as opposed to the bright morning sun that illuminated the streets outside.

Her Aunt was standing in the kitchen, frying half of the bowl of rice on the stove. Amani stayed near the living room to avoid the heat. "We're invited to Safia's house for dinner today. I know it's early but can you go down and buy me a few things?"

"What do you need?"

"Two eggplants, a cabbage, and five breads."

Amani's eyes sparkled at the free visit to the bakery. "I'll get dressed," she rushed into her bedroom. Amani pulled a brown abaya over her head and slipped into her sandals. The money was resting on the kitchen counter as she hurried out, adjusting the scarf over her hair to keep it from blowing in the wind. "Eggplants, cabbages, and bread, right?"

She nodded. "And toilet paper if the store is open."

"Yes ma'am!"

Amani raced down the stairs and hurried out the front door, directly into Bread Boy's path on his walk back. He paused. "Excuse me," he placed his hands in his pockets and walked around her.

"No, excuse me," she followed alongside him. "I'm the one that walked into your path. It's so early I didn't think anyone would be out."

He continued walking ahead in silence.

Amani held her hands behind her back, swinging her body happily as she tailed the boy. "Were you going to open the shop? My Aunt needs bread for dinner so I might as well get some fresh."

"I would still have to make the dough."

"I can wait," she smiled.

"It needs to rise."

She shrugged. "I have time."

His footsteps stopped near Farouq's house and Amani twirled around to stand in front of him. The streets were empty, maybe he'd look at her. Bread Boy's attention remained on the stairs. "I'm not working today. You have to wait."

Amani narrowed her eyes at him. "You're avoiding me."

"No."

"So, the bakery isn't opening today?"

"It will. Someone else will work it."

"What if I want bread from you?"

He pulled in a full breath and looked over her head. "Then you should wait until I work," he stepped past her.

Amani moved back. "You can't open up shop for me?"

"No."

She pouted. "Why not?"

"Because I don't work today."

"So, you would if you did work?" She smiled.

"No." It was a response devoid of any humor because he was being completely serious. There was no joke or tease in his tone and Amani scowled. "Excuse me." That time, she let him walk away.

Her pursed lips melted into a wide grin and Amani laughed. He hadn't even humored her; it was a plain "no." She sighed at his behavior and the way he emitted an energy so peaceful and respectful but, when she approached him, always behaved in such an unapproachable way. Was he playing hard to get? Usually, that was her role in a dynamic like this one.