31. Wahid Wa'Thalathun

The next day, Muhsin took Amani out for a more proper dinner. It was one in which they no longer had to sit across from one another and keep their feet on their sides of the table. This time, he smiled when their knees brushed and a long game of footsie occurred beneath their table carried on through their conversation.

When it was time to return home, he paid the bus fare as he always did and walked her to the front door of her Aunt's house. She became carried away in her conversation and only when they reached the quietest part of the street did Amani realize she'd begun rambling. But Muhsin had been watching her silently the entire time, willing to stand with her as long as it took to reach the end of her thoughts.

"I was rambling," she covered her mouth. "Wasn't I?"

He paused in front of her, the front door beside them left open for her return. A slight crinkle illuminated his eyes as they remained hooked on hers. "I did not notice," his words were delicate and soft.

Amani felt her cheeks grow warm. She'd become comfortable around Muhsin, but there was only one thing he did that made her nervous and he was doing it right now. She found it in the moments when the silence of his mind could be seen in the way his eyes only reflected her own depth.

She snorted to distract herself from the increasing pace of her heart. "You should be careful with the way you look at me, Muhsin Awad. People may think you're in love with me," she teased, tugging on the sleeve of his shirt.

At her sarcasm, Muhsin's smile grew. "You think so?"

"I know so," Amani nodded. "You could hardly meet my gaze before and now look at you. They're sure to misunderstand."

He chuckled. "But it would not be a misunderstanding."

Amani hummed in question.

Muhsin's eyes hadn't left hers for even the slightest of moments. "I could meet your gaze before but I did not because we were not married, you were not mine. Now, I do not want to look elsewhere. Your gaze is worth more than everything around me so let them misunderstand. Let them believe me to be in love with you, Amani, because I am."

Her grin had fallen away as she listened to him. And when Muhsin closed the space between them, Amani found herself nervously stepping back before he stopped her. His arms slipping around her back to steady her against him.

His name was a breathless gasp on her lips. "Muhsin...."

"I love you, Amani," he brought their foreheads together so his every word could cool the warmth of her skin. "Halaly." My Halal.

She closed her eyes when she felt his fingers brush past her cheek, her heart caught at the bottom of her throat and suffocating her. Was this really going to be it? Was Muhsin finally going to do it? Now that she was his wife.

But her breath broke out when she felt his lips against her forehead. "Don't be scared," he whispered against her skin.

Amani's eyes flew open. "I'm not scared," she peered up at him.

"I can feel your heart in your back," Muhsin smirked.

She jumped out of his arms. "Then don't touch my back."

He laughed. "I only kissed your forehead, Amani."

"Did I say anything about that?"

"I would not do anything more. We are in the street."

"I didn't think you would."

"That's why you were scared?"

"I wasn't scared!"