27. Sab'a Wa'Ishrun

‼️WARNING‼️: You're about to read my FAVORITE chapter... proceed with caution.

"That girl's pretty," Yazan murmured as they walked through the street. Amani turned to find him watching a group of girls standing by the water fountain. Beside them, Yasmeen sat on a brick on the floor, fiddling with something in her sandal. "The one with the sandal."

Amani nearly choked on the chocolate in her mouth. "Yasmeen?"

He shrugged. "Sure. If she's the one on the floor."

Beside them, Reema's wide eyes spun to find Amani and after sharing a look of pure shock, they both exploded into a fit of laughter. Yazan glared at the two of them. "What?" He asked.

"You could say your sister stole that girl's man," Reema snorted and Amani slapped her arm, forcing her to lower her voice before anybody else in the street heard her loud announcement. "If your sister hadn't stolen his heart, Muhsin might have had to marry her."

Yazan snorted. "She's too good for him, anyway. Only thing that guy's got going for him is his looks. I would rather talk to a fish than him," he pointed his index finger into his mouth.

"Someone who isn't awestruck by Muhsin?" Reema asked. "I never thought the day would come."

"He's boring," Yazan reached into his chip bag. "Talks at the same level, uses dictionary vocabulary, and doesn't even meet half the room's eyes like he's all petite. You should be careful Amani, he might turn out to be abusive."

She punched his shoulder. "Your little dislike for Muhsin is getting old, honestly, Yazan. Maybe you should try being like him. At least then you'd start respecting the people around you more."

"Yeah, sure, I'll cower at the slightest bit of eye contact from a girl. You know, he could just be marrying you because you were there, right? The only girl who showed interest in him."

Reema shook her head. "Far from, Yazan."

"Muhsin's braver than you and all your friends."

"Don't talk about my friends."

"Or what?" She asked.

Yazan looked forward and paused in his tracks. "Is that your fiancé running toward us like some long-legged bull?" He pointed forward, the question on his lips genuine as if he worried he may be imagining the sight.

Amani turned forward just in time to see his side profile as he flew past her. Her emptied chocolate wrapper fell to the ground at the wind he blew at them. She spun to watch his back.

Reema hummed. "Is he running to the hospital?"

"We're going to the hospital," Yazan pointed out.

"Then what's that way?" She asked.

"His house is but...," Amani began. "We should follow him."

Yazan huffed. "What? Why?"

She raced after Muhsin, Reema followed, and though unhappy and reluctant, Yazan chased after the three of them. As she approached the familiar neighborhood, Amani heard the chaos in the distance.

Fayza was in the hospital, so there was nobody for him to run to this way. She stopped when she turned the corner near his home, seeing the two occupational vehicles parked beside his house and the soldiers streaming through the open door.

Yazan caught up to her just as Muhsin jumped up the three front steps, seizing the back of the soldier's uniform and flinging him away from his door. "What the-?"

She didn't hear her brother continue and took off after Muhsin.

From within, a familiar voice screamed.