chapter nine: reminiscing

hanni pov:

after about 10 minutes of walking to minji's, i walk up to their front porch as i nervously (yes, even though i know her since middle school) ring their doorbell. the door quickly opens, revealing minji in her pajamas, with glasses on, making her look absolutely ethereal.

"hi hanni!! it's such a bummer that you forgot your key and your sister isn't home", minji engulfes me in a big hug, making me feel so warm and secure as her hugs always did.
i hug her back, taking in the feeling of her arms around me. i for sure missed kim minji.

"yeahh, it's kind of stupid of me but thankfully your house isn't really far from mine..!
soo, thanks for letting me stay over, min!!",
i answer, minji having walked into her house now, still holding onto me.

"what? no han, you're not stupid whatsoever, everyone forgets things and it's completely normal, i feel that you're just extra forgetful but that's okay too, it's cute",minji, sadly, stops hugging me, towering over me as i notice she's grown taller over the past three years.

when my brain finally processes what minji just said, i hit her lightly on her shoulder, "tch such a tease", i grumble jokingly, eliciting a sweet laughter from minji, which makes me break into laughter too.
i missed this, missed minji, missed us.

after a while of laughing, chatting and making various jokes with minji, we went up to her bedroom, which has been tidied up a bit since i left about 20 minutes ago, she's as neat and organised as ever.

"han? here's one of my pajamas, i hope it's okay with you that you're gonna be sharing a bed with me?", minji hands me one of her pajamas, which i remember as one of her favorites since we used to have lots of sleepovers back when we were in middle school and i used to spend a huge part of our relationship at minji's. remembering those times is kind of sad, but knowing that i have to make her memories about me come back is even sadder.

so i tear up, which i didn't even want in a slight bit. "hanni, are you okay..? you're.. tearing up..", minji immediately notices, her hands moving to cup my face. i hate how fucking attentive she is,
it makes me wanna cry even more.

"i'm sorry if i did something wrong, it's the first time i've had someone stay over in a while and.. just cry it out, hanni",she apologises, even though there's no reason to. now, tears are streaming down my face. fuck, hanni you made her think she made you cry.

minji pov:

the sight of hanni crying broke me, so i tried my best to comfort her through whatever she was dealing with, maybe she misses her parents, maybe it's something that i did, but either way there's no need for hanni to explain it to me, which i told her too, that she doesn't need to tell me what's going on. luckily she ended up smiling, her face all puffy from crying, which was, to be honest, a very cute sight.

as i'm now waiting for hanni to finish getting ready for bed, i pick up my book again, which i've abandoned on my bed, but hey, crush first, hobbies later. the image of hanni crying still occupies my mind, though.
she looked pretty even while crying.