Chapter five: Smoke Show

Everybody was screaming.

Even the ghost screeched. Lucy hung from the banister over the high drop to the bottom of the stairs. If poor old Mr hope died tripping from the top and slowly tumbling down her 'THUD' would be horrendous. The old wood creaked as she clung onto an old picture on the wall, its golden frame warping slightly as it held her up.

"Lucy!"

Whisps of ghost trailed along the floor. The unnatural light emitted from the figure almost blinded the young agents. They chased after it with their silver-point steel blades, swinging through the air in luxurious patterns.

"Lockwood!" They could hear Lucy screaming from where she hung, good first case eh?

The ghost continued to scream it words echoing in their mind "Let go of me!" The air choked out of them the longer they fought, a pressure erupted around their throat. They were still present, could still see the plasm and the manifestation. They couldn't see Lockwood, they assumed he was behind them but as the ghost vanished and they turned the room was empty. Lucy still screamed. They ran back to her, trainers squeaking against the hardwood.

"Please!"

"Hold on lucy!"

"I'm gonna fall!" Her fingers slipped further down the frame. "My foots caught!"

They got to her, assessing the damage quickly before trying to reach for her.

"I'm slipping!"

"I'm right here! I can bloody see! I'm trying!" They strain through gritted teeth.

She falls slightly, fingers falling from the frame, "Meelis!" Terror devours the two as her fingers drew away

"Lucy!" They jumped towards her, somehow catching her without falling. Pulling her into them they grab her face, making sure everything was ok apart from the definite fear of high places she just collected. They both gasped as they came down from the devouring panic. "did she touch you?" They gasped out.

"of course not. I'd be dead." She turned her head to the side

"Lucy, if-"

"Jesus fuck Lockwood!" They jumped, hand over heart as they glare at the boy "Where were you?"

"I was right next to you the whole time... we were talking." He gives them a look "Are you ok?" He holds a hand to their forehead before they swat it away, "If you guys don't feel steady, we should just go home now."

Meelis glares at him, how dare he. They were completely fine, he's the one that suddenly disappeared then reappeared spouting nonsense.

"No, I'm fine. It's just..." Lucy broke the quiet.

"Just what?"

"When I connected with her, it was different."

"What do you mean?"

"I saw how she used to be" As she says this Lockwood takes a glance at Meelis, their eyes boring into Lucy as they listen intensely "More than that. It was like I... I could feel what she was feeling." Everything struck within Meelis. They could understand everything she was saying. Maybe they had found someone who was just like them, cursed with this horrible talent.

Lockwood snapped them out of it, he couldn't see what she was trying to say, only taking it at surface level "She's a ghost. Ghosts don't have feelings."

"No, trust me, this was nothing like I have ever felt before." Lucy was getting loud, the anger flowing through her almost as passionately as it did Meelis on a bad day.