Chapter 11 - Painted by The Dusk

"AAAAAHHHH" Kazuya screamed whilst cutting the head off of a two headed demon at the speed of light with a horizontal slash. Shimo watched him and he was truthfully more scared of Kazuya than the demon during the entire battle. He sheathed his nichirin blade and walked up to him.

"You good?" Shimo asked, his face dimly lit up by the moonlight in the forest.

Without batting an eye, he responded far louder than he intended, "YES." He said. Shimo raised an eyebrow at him and he took a deep breath. "Really, I'm fine." A useless attempt to reassure him.

"Okay, if you say so."  He said unconvinced.

In the time between now and the rehabilitation incident, Shimo had a smooth recovery and officially become Kazuya's tsugoku.

"BIRD!" Shimo shouted. As instructed, Choji came. Choji had gotten used to his new, and oh so creative nickname, and he didn't mind it, because it came with some scrumptious snacks.

Shimo tilted his head towards Choji "Get us outta here and I'll get you some snacks." And they soon left the forest and into a small hotel to rest.

Shimo flopped onto his bed as Kazuya brushed his hair with a comb infront of the vanity mirror.

Shimo turned his head to look at him, "So how are things with Kanae?"

"Pretty good I suppose."

"Have you done anything with her?" Shimo asked innocently. Kazuya put down his hands and looked at him curiously. "O-oh that's not what I... I meant like kissing or something."

"Not yet... I don't think she's interested anyways." He looked towards the floor.

"Not interested?" Shimo blinked. "Kazuya she is definitely interested! There is some chemistry between you both that anybody could see."

He sighed, now looking out the window, "She's been with Sanemi a lot so I think she likes him."

Shimo hesitated before asked slowly, "Is this about the rehabilitation training thing...?" Kazuya whipped his head around to look at him. "Well you couldn't make that any more obvious." Shimo muttered.

Kazuya groaned loudly. "Well I acted so immature then! Why would she like me?" He paused. "Especially from the way I treated you."

"You're acting unnecessarily paranoid. Sanemi acted far worse than you. Besides she wasn't even that mad at you to begin with." Kazuya looked at him baffled. "Okay maybe she waaas unusually angry— But! She's treating you the same now, right?" Kazuya nodded and he continued, "So why don't you just take her out somewhere tomorrow? Use those good looks of yours for once."

Kazuya went to the bed and laid down, "Okay, I'll think about it." Shimo smiled at him and quieted down so they could sleep, while Kazuya was mentally preparing.

The next day then went back to the butterfly mansion. They got back when the sun was high in the sky and as soon as she caught sight of them, Aoi did her usual quick check up on them. She was checking on Kazuya's blood pressure when Kazuya caught glimpse of Kanae's hair as she walked by.

"K-Kanae!" Kazuya yelled. She had already walked by so she didn't hear him. Aoi looked at him. "Sorry Aoi, I'll be back just give me one minute." Right as he said that he hastily took off the equipment, and handed it to a slightly unprepared Aoi. He ran out the door and almost crashed into the wall before turning quickly to figure out where she went. Luckily, she didn't get too far. At the moment, she was in a hallway talking to Kanao.

"Kanae!" Kazuya said, resting his hands on his knees.

"Kazuya, good morning. Why are you so out of breath?" She asked tilting her head. Indeed, it was unusual to see a Hashira in such a tired state so it was safe to assume he ran way too fast.