Chapter 2 : The Lost Princess

The castle stands in front of you in all of its glory and the world around is winding down for the day. The sunset casts warm rays of orange and golden hues that shine magically when reflecting through the frozen tree branches. Oddly enough, the castle itself while desolate of any surrounding foliage, is completely shaded from the sun. The only sign of life comes from the once-blooming maroon rose garden in front; but now, all that remains is an ocean of petals that have wilted and fallen to the ground.

As you stand in the center of the main courtyard, the shadows of the east and west towers loom over you like predators lurking over their unsuspecting prey. This, paired with the eternal shadow cast over the castle, leaves a bitter taste in your mouth and causes the hairs on the back of your neck to stand in alarm. The harpsichord is playing louder than ever, but its melody sings in your ears like a soft lullaby - calming and reassuring you of the worries that nip fiercely at your vulnerability. The closer you venture toward the structure's main entrance, the stronger an intoxicating scent graces the air as a silent command to guide you closer on your feet's own accord.

A chill creeps down your spine when you extend an arm out and reach for the iron door handle. You freeze when a sudden shadow flits quickly across the door and a new wave of doubt rushes over you, drenching you with a distressing sense of hesitation. In your moment of contemplation, you rest your hand lightly on the cold iron but the gentle weight causes the large wooden door to push open almost too easily. It opens slowly and creaks quietly to reveal a large foyer. Despite it being the onset of the winter season, warm air rushes out and envelopes you in a warm hug as if you're finally catching up with an old friend after a long time apart. Against all better judgment, you take your first step into the castle.

Three steps in and the door behind you closes shut on its own. You startle and entertain the idea of leaving altogether. After all, you've finally made it into the castle which was your main goal all along. Yet, as you stand examining your surroundings, something holds your feet in place, preventing you from leaving. The interior holds a drab atmosphere and there are cobwebs hanging from the dark corners of the tall ceilings. There is a grand staircase in front of you that splits off into two directions on the second floor, one leading to the western wing of the castle and the other leading to the eastern wing. Yet, despite the dull aura, the small gold details gracing the staircase's handrails and gold details placed tastefully on the walls are a testament to the castle's true beauty. As you spin around in place, you can't help but let your lips part slightly in awe as you imagine what this place would look like in its true glory.

You suddenly freeze in your spot when the candlelit chandelier hanging above your head flickers and dims dramatically. A cold wind rushes through the warm room before the light brightens greater than before.

"Leaving so soon?" a voice as smooth as honey speaks. Behind you, two men dressed in variations of black and white formal wear descend the grand staircase. The taller of the two has striking features with a square jawline, a rounded nose, and plump lips. His gaze is dark and holds emotions that you're unable to describe; almost as if he's hidden them within the shadows.

"The princes," you gasp. "I didn't think anyone would be here - let alone that the seven princes are real." Your voice is soft, almost silent to your own ears. But somehow the two men hear it clearly and the shorter one's lips tug upward into a subtle smirk.

"Of course we're real. I'm honestly a little offended you questioned our existence in the first place," he clicks his tongue. He's the one that spoke earlier with the honey-like voice. He, just like the other prince, is dashingly handsome. His features are a little more pointed with a slender jawline, a tall slim nose, and fox-like eyes.

"I thought it was a tale." You manage to find your voice, albeit softer spoken than normal while in the presence of the two handsome strangers.

"She's not the one." The taller male finally speaks, his voice sounding huskier than you had anticipated. His eyes narrow as he examines you from head to toe, almost as if he were judging if you're worthy of even standing before him. You fight terribly to resist the urge to squirm under his scrutinizing gaze.