Chapter 4 : A Bite of Eternity

"Where are we going?" you ask Jake, unable to mask your mild curiosity as he guides you away from the western wing towards the eastern wing of the castle. A small smile tugs at the corners of the prince's lips when you subconsciously tighten your grip on his hand in your moment of excitement.

"The library," he answers simply. "It used to be one of your favorite rooms in the castle."

The hallway you're walking in is rather dim, much like the rest of the castle. Since your arrival, you've quickly realized that the entire castle is void of any light sources now that the sun has set, excluding the candlelit chandelier in the foyer at the main entrance.

"Is it always this dark in the castle?" you voice your thoughts. Jake tenses and he stops in his tracks. Even in the dark, you're still able to make out the gentle pinch on the prince's facial expression. You're unsure what you had asked wrong.

"We haven't really turned on the lights ever since we lost the princess," he admits with a deep sigh. "Heeseung said this castle didn't deserve to have any life after her death." A pang of sympathy knocks deep within your chest.

"She must have meant a lot to all of you," you frown, offering his hand a gentle squeeze.

"You really did," Jake nods. And suddenly, the hallway lights up with a faint light source. The walls around you flicker with a mixture of orange and yellow, like a flame flickering in the wind. If you had blinked, you would have missed the sudden flame dancing over Jake's vacant hand, illuminating the gentle smile that rests on his lips as he gazes at you with nothing but adoration. "But now you've come back to us, Princess."

"How are you doing that?" you gasp, unable to take your eyes off the flame being controlled by the prince effortlessly. "Is this your power?"

"You're catching on fast, sweetheart," he hums. "I have pyrokinesis abilities and I'm sure you've already figured out Sunoo's and Riki's powers."

"Riki controls the shadows," you recall and Jake nods.

"And nocturnal animals," he adds.

However, you're stumped when you try to recall Sunoo's powers. Riki had mentioned something about making you remember your memories from your past life but the other prince never directly revealed his powers. "I'm not too sure about Sunoo. Does he control memories?"

"Inexplicitly, yes. He can't necessarily plant new memories in your head, per se. Instead, he can look into your memories and can make you believe in certain things. He has unrelenting control over everyone's minds. He can will anyone to do anything without them even realizing it. If he uses his powers on you, you'll feel-"

"Warm and fuzzy? Like you're obligated to do anything for him?" you gasp, suddenly realizing why you were putty in the prince's hands earlier.

"I'm guessing he used his powers on you then," Jake chuckles.

"I feel oddly exposed," you shudder at the thought.

"Sunoo can also manipulate gravity," Jake supplements and catches the confusion flitting across your features. "He can do things like stand on the ceilings - although he favors standing upside down on tree branches for some reason."

"What are other princes' powers?"

Something akin to surprise flashes across Jake's face. Perhaps he wasn't expecting you to be curious about the others. After all, a voice in the back of your head is still warning you to run back home this instant. Something feels aloof. Time feels like it's frozen and progressing too quickly all at once. For you, it seems like you've only been at the castle for less than an hour, which means you left home less than two hours ago. You should probably head back before your parents catch onto your absence. It would be a nightmare if your mother sent your father to come get you again.