Chapter 3 : Unspoken Curse

The room is large and covered from floor to ceiling with dark walnut wood. The walls and ceilings are intricately decorated with square wood paneling throughout, and small gold finishings are delicately placed in the center of each square on the ceiling. In the corner of the room perpendicular to the door, there is a large fireplace with lavish wooden carvings crawling up and across its mantle. Yet, despite the room's spacious area, it's extremely dim. The only sources of light being that of the single window in the back of the room, shaped as a grand archway, and a few seldom candles flickering atop the fireplace mantle.

"Take my hand, Princess," Sunoo offers as he brings you to the center of the room. Your other hand, which is still clasped in Riki's grasp, slips out of his hold when the young prince remains at the edge of the room. When you glance back at him, you're met with his dark calculating gaze once again. His eyes watch your every step, still judging; determining if you truly are the lost princess.

"I don't know how to dance," you admit bashfully, turning your attention back to Sunoo when he grabs hold of your other hand, placing both your arms around the back of his neck before slipping his hands down to hold your waist. His feathery touch leaves goosebumps in its trail and an electric feeling travels down the expanse of your body when he gazes at you with a nearly sultry look.

When he leans in close, you finally notice the intoxicating scent of the handsome prince. It's a familiar floral scent that you were met with outside the castle mixed with something else you can't quite decipher. "Your body will remember, Princess. Just follow my lead."

A shudder rips through your body when he reaches a hand up to unclasp the outermost layer that has been keeping you warm. The thickly lined cloak falls to the floor with a soft thud, leaving you in just your dress. Despite your modest clothing, you still feel oddly exposed as the handsome prince stares down at you and you wish to say something to alleviate the building tension.

"Even in your new body, you still look beautiful as ever, Princess," Sunoo whispers before finally taking a step back and guiding you to a dance. Your feet follow him uncertainly, but you don't dare to break his eye contact.

"What if I'm not who you expect me to be," you ask unsurely. Perhaps it's because of his naturally warmer nature compared to that of the younger prince still observing you from the edge of the room, or perhaps it's because of the utmost attention he's given you since the moment you arrived. But if you're certain of one thing, it's that you've only just met Sunoo but already dread the thought of never seeing him again.

"Don't say such foolish things, petal," he soothes, his new nickname for you causing the tips of your ears to flush a soft pink. His arms extend to bring you out for a spin, which you execute well to your own surprise. Though the dance felt awkward at first, you now feel as if the steps are coming naturally to you under Sunoo's gentle guidance. "It might have been a while since we last met, but I'd recognize you anywhere."

In this moment, as you're dancing around the room with the handsome prince to the harpsichord melody still playing softly in the background, there's an energy emanating from the man standing across from you that brings warmth to your chest. Suddenly, the room is no longer poorly lit because Sunoo is shining brighter than the sun itself.

"Her footwork is slow and messy. The princess used to outdance all of us." Riki breaks your trance. He pushes himself off the wall where he was previously leaning and takes long strides to meet you and Sunoo in the middle of the room. Almost automatically, the shorter prince lets go of your waist which sets aflame a mild panic deep within you. When he senses your change in emotion, Sunoo leans forward and places a chaste kiss on your cheek.

"Don't fret. Dance with him just like you did with me, petal," he murmurs.

Unlike Sunoo's touch, Riki's hands feel heavier around your waist. His grip on you is tighter in a silent message to denote that he is undoubtedly in charge. There's a slight stretch in your back when you reach up higher to place your arms around him to accommodate his taller stature, and it only takes a couple of beats for you to catch onto the difference in styles between the two princes.