Chapter 5

Knockton

I was standing beside a child Molly. She had rolled in on herself, hands over her hand. She pleaded with a round older woman. Venom spilled from her eyes.

"Please Mrs. Luster. I was hungry. I didn't mean to take it without asking."

"I do not care, Molly. This is punishment. You will learn to obey, and listen."

I watched as a small Molly was beaten for several minutes. Mrs. Luster left Molly on the bedroom floor bleeding and weeping.

"I wish I was dead. This wouldn't happen if I were dead. I have no family." Little Molly cried

I bent down, and stared at her. My eyes filled with sorrow, and my heart ached. I wanted to reach down, and assure it was okay. I wanted to protect her. I wanted to make her feel like she was loved and would be safe. But this feeling was new to me. I hadn't felt that in a long time. I watched as child Molly unrolled herself, and made her way to the closet. She sat down in the back corner, revealing a small journal under a loose floor board. I slowly made my way to her side again. I watched as she wrote down her heart's cries.

"One day, I will be far far away from this place. I will be away from families who don't want me. My skin won't be bruised, and my eyes wont dry from crying too much. One day I'll fly away, no longer captive."

I reached my hand to touch her cheek, but it just went through her. I was in her dream that was a memory. I couldn't help her, comfort her. Even if I could touch her, or comfort her, could I? My mission was beginning to feel like this memory. I was caging her again, taking her wings. Making her unable to fly away. A sudden pulse violated through me. My body felt heavy. The scene was fading, and I heard Molly's heart racing. She was waking up. Suddenly I saw blackness, and Molly jumped awake from her dream.