Goodsprings

"So you came out to see the sun atlast" said Trudy. "I was wondering if you were dead or something". The doctor sighed, "You know how it is, this darned leg refuses to haul my body. Ironic really." "Ironic?" questioned Trudy. "Yes, ironic. I basically revived a dead man, but still haven't been able to fix my leg."said Doc Mitchell. Trudy passed him the bottle of whiskey, he took a sip. They sat in silence for a while. "You know, even though my bussiness is at an all time high now, I still miss the quieter days of the town" said Trudy. "I can relate, as much as the caravans and tourists help the town prosper, there was a certain charm in the laidback nature" replied the doctor. "I wonder, how one incident can change our lives so much, I would have never imagined this quiet, laidback town to be like how it is now." said Trudy. The doctor silently got up from his stool, and limped out of the saloon.

And indeed, one incident really did change the lives of the townsfolk. Goodsprings was always a small, insignificant town in the greater happenings of the Mojave. Neither the NCR nor the Legion took interest in it's happenings. But since the day the courier was "revived" from the dead by Doc Mitchell, the lives of the townsfolk changed, mostly for the better. His story of revival in goodsprings spread far and wide across the Mojave. Which interested many caravans and wanderers. The amount of traders and visitors to the town raised significantly after the courier set out on his quest for revenge. But now, after the battle of Hoover dam had concluded, the popularity of the town was at it's peak.

The doctor wandered around town, not having any particular destination in mind, just wanting to breathe fresh air, and stretch his legs. As he walked, he saw caravans coming down the road, decently armed guards surrounding a person who was clearly the owner, with a Brahmin(mutated cow) behind him, carrying the goods. Whenever the caravans arrived in town, he would atleast have one or two guards in his home, wanting medical assistance. Ofcourse, anyone would want medical assistance from the man who revived a person who was supposed to be dead. He was always glad to help them out, though the increased popularity had made him quite anxious. He moved forward, walking in the calming breeze. This was one of the rare instances he would come out of his home. With his injured leg, he barely had any motivation to walk. He came across the town sherrif's house, an old man named "easy pete". He was a decent enough person, who had an alarming love for dynamite. "Howdy Doc, finally came out of your house I see" greeted the sherrif. "Yes yes, I've been asked that by many people. Just wanted to stretch my legs, and meet you good folks". replied the doctor. "Miss the quieter days?" asked pete. "Yes, somewhat. My days are still quieter than others" answered the doctor. They talked for quite a bit, about the happenings in the town, the happenings outside the town. The traders brought good stories with them. "Those gangers really help keeping the town in check. An old man like me can only do so much" said easy pete. "Yes, I was in very much denial of your decision to give refuge to them. But now when I think about it, they really are helping you keeping the town in check. If it weren't for them, some of the "visitors" would have tried something out of their line." And indeed the powder gangers really did help the town. There was a jail near goodsprings where the powder gangers had taken control over. But they were driven off by the NCR. Some of the powder gangers, who had a semblance of conscience left in them had come to goodsprings for shelter. They were relatively harmless, but the townsfolk did not trust them at all due to their previous effort to take over the town. Though after some discussions, and seeing as how easy pete was getting old, the town needed more protection. And the powder gangers provided them just that. They were sometimes harsh and rude with their words, but overall they loved the town, and would protect it at whatever cost. The doctor got up and went on his way after talking with easy pete for a long while.

He walked past the goodsprings schoolhouse, imagining how in the old world, the area would be full of budding children, eager to learn. He walked past victor's shack, the peculiar robot who had lived in the town for a long time, and had reached the courier from his grave. Doc Mitchell still wondered what the purpose of the robot was, and why did he leave immediately after the courier was revived. But, it was a mystery that was probably best to not overthink about. It was getting dark when he finally met and talked with almost everyone he could. He finally decided to visit the goodsprings cemetery. Why? Even he didn't know, he just had a nagging feeling in his gut. He stood on the hill, seeing the graves of the townsfolk, and ofcourse, the courier's grave. He stood there for a while, looking at both the graves and the vast expanse of the Mojave.

He finally climbed down the hill, and walked towards his home. He opened the door, and entered. But this felt... different. This was the same house, the same floor,the same windows, the same furniture. But it still felt different. He walked up to his desk, the picture of him and his wife was on the desk. It was from his time in vault 21. Even though he had nostalgia for the place, he didn't regret his decision of leaving. He sat on the chair, looking at the picture. And while he was lost in his memories, the life slowly oozed out of him.

His death was discovered by one of the caravan guards, who had come in his house for medical assistance, but found him dead on the table. The news was quickly spread amongst the town. Everyone mourned him, they had not only lost the only doctor in their town, but also a great friend to many. He was buried in the cemetery, just beside the grave of his most successful patient.

Though even with the loss of the only doctor in town, goodsprings was still relatively prospering. The old towners felt his absence a great deal, but a new doctor arrived weeks after the incident. Along the vast expanse of the Mojave, goodsprings was considered by many, the calmest town of all.