Chapter 87

"Oh this is sickening,"FBI lifted up his shoes from the black sludge that he stepped on. He continued forward and scraped the bottom of his shoe with a nearby object, a rock embedded on the ground. Sometimes, a stick was not always in hand. Even in a forest. Unfortunately, NATO couldn't come along.

America had, once again, picked a fight with another country and had to be kept under supervision for the next few hours. Even though in the real world, NATO had a different job from humans, in this one, he had to make sure America didn't do anything stupid, or anything progressively stupid. Whichever one came first. Usually the latter, if anyone was wondering.

"It's getting dark. FBI, you better get back soon."

A voice entered his mind. It was NATO.

"No problem, just found the trail again. It goes in way deeper than expected," FBI responded, almost forgetting to do so mentally. Normally, he'd be with NATO in person. His flashlight aimed at another vandalized tree and a small boulder. "Maybe another few minutes or so. Did something happen?"

Sweeping the light, it lit around the trail, he walked on. Walking and walking until he heard a crunch as he stepped on something. FBI pondered on this when he looked down at the scattered brown leaves.

It was summer. Why would the leaves be so dry and crisp at this time like it's autumn?

"No, but I'm going to meet you there," NATO responded.

FBI couldn't help feeling relieved and guilty. NATO was an amazing partner to work with, the thing is, he was just as busy as FBI was.

"Are you sure? America must've tired you out or something,"FBI replied.

"It's gonna take a lot more than an over-excited child country to tire me out,"NATO sounded slightly curt, mostly jokingly though.

"Of course,"FBI shook his head.

Wind blew across the area, causing leaves to waver on nearby branches. FBI brushed a twirling leaf away as he continued onward, directing the flashlight in front of him, occasionally sweeping it sideways. Seeing black splotches on trees and rocks, FBI used a magnifying glass on them. Always a question mark popped up.

He and WHO were still working on what those substances were. Placing a hand on his head, FBI went on, keeping his hair from getting in his eyes.

FBI followed the trail, keeping his now not-bothered eyes open for anything out of the ordinary, besides the trail of black slime he was following. He didn't like this one bit. Constantly he turned behind him, he was sure someone was following him, or watching him at least.

"I've been walking for hours,"FBI muttered to himself, noting the falling daylight. He stopped walking. The trail only continued even deeper in, where even his flashlight couldn't penetrate the thick veil of darkness. The black splotches on the grass seemed to be endless.