❝Fifty-second❞

"Tae, I can't."

Sitting in the car, the two men stared anxiously at the Jeon house. Especially Jungkook. The boy couldn't take his eyes off the house, his body trembling and his fingers twitching nervously. Taehyung came and placed a reassuring hand on his thigh, and began to caress it tenderly.

"Darling, look at me." he urged gently.

The boy turned slowly, gazing into his worried eyes.

"I know it's stressful, no, it's terrifying, but you need this. I know you can do it, and it'll make you feel better."

Jungkook shook his head negatively.

"No, I know I don't need it. I'll be fine if I never see them again."

Taehyung couldn't contain a sigh. He was well aware that what he was asking of Jungkook was hard, if not impossible, but he considered it a necessary step. Jungkook had to grow up and blossom, but for that to happen, he had to draw a line under the past that clung to him like a ball and chain. And there was nothing better than the spoken word for that.

"Kitten, listen to me. I understand how you feel, I really do. But believe me, as an adult with a long life behind him, I know better than anyone that ignoring your problems won't solve them. You have to tell them what's on your mind. Even if it hurts, even if they take it badly, even if they don't listen to you. All those feelings that have been eating away at you for years, you've got to get them out. Trust me, once you do, you'll feel much lighter."

Jungkook listened attentively, chewing his lip frantically.

"But... what if she decides to publish the video as revenge?"

"Don't worry about that, I've got everything under control. She won't do anything. You can go in peace."

"But I'm still afraid..."

Taehyung smiled a little before placing a kiss on his reddened lips.

"I'll be there all the way. Right beside you, never leaving your side. I'll protect you, no matter what."

Jungkook wasn't completely convinced, but after a long period of reflection, he finally agreed, and they left the car together, hand in hand. They approached the house feverishly, Taehyung in the lead, while Jungkook hid behind him. How many years had it been since he'd set a foot here ? The last time he'd been here was for a family meal when he was still living with his uncle. Jin had quarrelled with his parents for the umpteenth time, over the fact that in addition to not wanting to take over the family business, he had married a man, tarnishing the Jeon name forever. Jin had left the house in all his splendor, screaming at them that they were monkeys and swearing that he would never set foot in this house again. And so far, he'd kept his word.

Taehyung rang, startling Jungkook who was deep in thought, and soon the door opened, revealing a smiling Soyoon.

"Taehyung! I'm so happy you've come back to see me!" she exclaimed happily.

"Spare me the theatrics, will you? We came to talk." he replied coldly.

Soyoon frowned at the "we" and quickly put on a look of disgust as she caught sight of Jungkook.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she snapped as the boy immediately went back to hiding behind Taehyung.

"Soyoon, shut up." said the man, glaring at her. "Just go get your parents."

The woman wanted to retort, not accepting being spoken to like that, but Taehyung was so threatening that she gave up. She turned around without saying a word, and left to fetch the Jeon couple as he had asked. The two men took the opportunity to enter, and naturally made their way to the living room, where a large rectangular table sat. They soon heard footsteps on the stairs, and the three Jeons appeared in the doorway.