21. Dude

Immediately after Minji closed the door behind, her phone rang. She fished for her phone from her back pocket and her lips curved upwards when she saw the caller's name.

"Hey, Dad."

Hanni is in front of the closet, choosing what to wear for the dinner party.

"Yeah. I'm here in Haeundae... We arrived yesterday... I'm with some friends and Haerin... Yeah. The Haerin I introduced to you before. Yes. It was her birthday yesterday... Sure. I'll tell her you said hi... No, Dad. Hahaha! We're not together. No! She's with her boyfriend right now..."

Hanni raised an eyebrow. So Minji's dad had met Haerin before.

"What's your plan for your birthday?" Minji asked her dad. "Of course, I'll visit you. Oh. I see. Okay. I'll catch you later then... Yeah. Don't forget your dinner too... Bye, Dad... I love you too..."

Minji put her phone down on the bedside table and went to the bathroom.

Hanni was getting something from her duffel bag when Minji's phone rang again. She took that opportunity to peek at the caller and saw the familiar picture of Minji and Yunjin with Taipei 101 in the background.

She heard the flush in the bathroom and the door creaked open. Hanni hurried to pretend to do something.

"Oh, is that my phone?" Minji picked her phone quickly. "Hey, Yunjin. What's up?" She walked towards the balcony door, opening it and stepping outside.

Hanni was left confused inside the room, wondering why Minji okay with her hearing the conversation with her dad but not with Yunjin.

"Haerin loved your flowers," said Minji.

"That's nice to hear. How's your trip so far?" asked Yunjin on the other line.

"It's great. We're enjoying our stay here."

"Wait. Wait. You said 'we' or is it just you who's enjoying everything?"

Minji glanced at the person inside the room and averted her gaze quickly when their eyes met. "It might be hard to believe it, but I think she's enjoying the trip too."

"To be honest, I won't be surprised if she does. But what makes you think so?"

"She's in the mood to do everything: pretending in front of Haerin and strolling around here. She even asked me to buy a couple's necklace and get a couple's henna tattoo."

"What? She did that? Wow, Minji. Don't you think it's too much for acting?"

"I know. But what if she's just having fun? What if she's just doing this to help me?"

"Help you get back with Haerin? Minji, if she really wants that to happen there's no need for her to do what she's doing right now," said Yunjin. "My deduction is... I think she's doing that because she wants to keep you away from Haerin."

Minji knitted her brows, thinking.

"I still stand by my old statement: I really believe that she likes you," added Yunjin. "Why don't you confess to her tonight?"

Minji never thought of doing it yet because she knows that it's impossible for Hanni to reciprocate her feelings.

"Don't you think it's too early for that?" she said.

"Early for what? You're already doing what a real couple does."

"Not really. We haven't kissed yet." Minji giggled at the thought.

"Perv." Yunjin chuckled. "My point is this: do you think you could act naturally if you two aren't comfortable with each other?"

"But what if she's just good at this, the acting? What if everything is just a part of the play for her? I don't want to assume anything now. That's suicide."