Chapter 2

Emmet was working on putting the roof back in place when the voice called up to him.

"Hey so I couldn't get anybody in that cavern fortress to respond, think you could tell me what's going on around here?"

Emmet yelped, the suddenness of the voice startling him enough that he lost his balance. He flailed for a moment, but ultimately lost the battle, and toppled right off the roof. "Ah, geez-!" the stranger yelped, and Emmet found himself expertly caught and placed on his feet. He blinked at the other, tensing. The face had a few more lines on it, the dark hair sporting several strands of silver now, but there was no mistaking the dark blue and bright green space suit.

"Rex."

Rex blinked at him in surprise. "You remember-" He cut himself off, then slowly shook his head, chuckling helplessly to himself. "Really should've expected that. You're his avatar, after all."

"What are you doing here?" Emmet demanded.

Rex sobered up at the question. "I need your help. You're the only person I can trust." Of all the reactions he'd expected Emmet to have, his younger self stepping forward to shove angrily at him wasn't one of them.

"You lied to me! You tricked me into causing Armomageddon! And you- you said you were just gonna go back and try it all over again until you 'got it right'! How can I trust that you're not just trying to trick me into helping you destroy everything again?!"

Rex floundered for words for a few moments, and realized there were only two he could say that could possibly make things right. "I'm sorry."

Emmet stopped, staring at him. "What?"

"I was... wrong. About a lot of stuff." Every fiber of Rex's being screamed discomfort at having to admit to such. "She came back for you. She fought tooth and nail for you. Those aren't the actions of someone who'd gladly forget you for an easier life. And it was... dumb of me to ever believe otherwise. I should've trusted that she never would have forgotten us without outside interference."

"Outside interference?"

"That's why I need your help. I went back to investigate, to try to find out why they forgot us so readily. When I told you before they were brainwashed, yeah I lied to you then, but... I think, in my timeline, they actually had been. My interference last time broke whatever spell they'd nearly been put under. But I got caught out and had to run. That's why I need your help. There's never been anybody who could go unnoticed better than you."

Emmet quirked a grin at him. "That's probably the most backhanded compliment I've ever received, even counting that time with Metalbeard and my couch."

Rex gave him an uneasy grin in response. "So, uh. We cool?" He tentatively offered his hand. Instead of taking the offered hand Emmet launched himself at Rex, wrapping his arms around his other self in a tight embrace.

"Yeah, we're cool." He pulled back to smile bright at Rex. "Bro."

Rex smiled back at him in relief. "Awesome." He then turned his attention to where Emmet's house-ship stood nearly finished behind him. "...You know, I got room for two in my cruiser. How about we leave that here where it'll be safe?"

Emmet sagged in relief. "Oh thank goodness, yes. I'd much prefer you to fly." Rex laughed and clapped his shoulder.

"Let's get a move on then, the clock's ticking."

They hadn't taken two steps toward Rex's cruiser when they heard the sound of an engine approaching. Before long they could see the vehicle in question, a familiar black and white car hovering over the dusty ground. They watched in stunned silence as it pulled to a stop in front of them and Bad Cop got out.

"Brickowski," the officer growled.

"Yes?" both of them answered automatically. Rex winced. Emmet just wondered why Bad Cop was there.

Bad Cop seemed equally surprised by Rex's response. He turned to Emmet. "Who's this?"

"My brother!" Emmet chirped back without missing a beat.

Bad Cop's frown deepened. "...We weren't aware you had a brother."

"Yeah he's older than me by almost ten years. He's been in space until recently." Rex tried not to let his awe show in front of the cop. Granted, most of that wasn't even really untrue... But Bad Cop still didn't seem convinced.

"Our family had a 'falling out' years ago," Rex picked up. "I got disowned. Probably why you didn't find anything about me when you were investigating Emmet."

"I see," the cop finally relented.

"Is there something we can help you with?" Emmet asked brightly.

Bad Cop's mouth pressed into a thin line as he shifted his stance. "We're coming with you."

That surprised Emmet. "You are?" He certainly wouldn't object- even though Rex had apologized, Emmet wasn't certain he trusted him 100% just yet and he knew he could rely on the cops- but he still had to ask. "Why?"

Good Cop switched out. "Because it's our duty to protect the citizens of Apocalypseburg. The people here will be fine; I doubt any Duplos will be arriving so soon after General Mayhem's appearance. Your friends are the ones who need help right now. And we didn't want to leave you to do this all on your own."

Bad Cop switched back out, eyeing Rex warily. Rex simply lifted his chin in challenge. "Weren't expecting you to already have help, though."

"Honestly? I wasn't either." Emmet smiled at the cops. "I'd be glad to have you along, though. Makes our chances of success that much better."

"Good."

"I dunno," Rex interrupted, frowning at them both. "We bring too many people, and our chances of being discovered are that much greater, too."

"Three bodies isn't 'too many'," Emmet argued. "I really do think we could use their help."

"I don't have room in the cruiser for one more."

"Then we'll follow in my house-ship."

Rex growled out a sigh, dragging his hands over his face. "You're not gonna give up til I say yes, are you?"

Emmet shook his head and grinned at him. "Nope."

"Alright, fine, they can come." He eyeballed the cops, then turned to give his cruiser a considering look. "Maybe all three of us can fit in there, though it'll be a squeeze."

"At least it'll only be until we get to the Rexcelsior, right?" Rex nodded.

"Then we'll manage," Bad Cop said.

"Alright. Let's move out, the longer we dawdle, the less time we'll have to put a stop to the Systarians' plans."