Chapter 7

"General!"

Mayhem sat up and pulled off her helmet as she tried to catch her breath, wincing as she rubbed at her midsection where she'd been kicked. Her armor had taken the worst of it, but still, ow.

"Are you alright?" She glanced up at Balthazar's fussing, and nodded.

"I'm alright, she just knocked the wind out of me." She accepted the hand up. "I'm starting to think this whole 'tough' act isn't working. All it's done is put her in fight or flight mode."

"At least the others are coming around," Balthazar pointed out.

"Yes, but now that she's loose... She might find a way to undo all of our hard work. I've never met anyone so resistant to any of our therapies." Mayhem took a deep breath and, satisfied that nothing was aching anymore, replaced her helmet. "The others should be just about ready. Tell the drivers they can start bringing the buses around. I've got to contact the Queen."

"Of course."

"So how's it going?" the monarch's voice rang through her helmet, bright with enthusiasm. "Have they relaxed yet?"

"Most of them," Mayhem answered. "Though your groom is still putting up token resistance. The one they call Wyldstyle has escaped."

"That really argumentative one?"

"That's her."

Watevra huffed. "Somehow I knew she'd be trouble. Keep looking for her, Sweet, we can't let her ruin the ceremony! Everything is depending on it!"

"Of course, Your Majesty. "

"And would you mind bringing the Man of Bats back to the palace? We've still got a lot of planning to do."

"We'll be there shortly."

"See you soon!"

Mayhem ended the call, and sighed, lamenting that she couldn't be in multiple places at once. She had a feeling the Guards wouldn't be able to find Wyldstyle themselves, but having seen the 'leaders' of Apocalypseburg fight for herself, she also knew they wouldn't be able to handle Batman if he decided to get feisty.

She watched as the Guards returned, unsuccessful, and sent them to retrieve their 'guests' instead. Wyldstyle would most likely come to them herself at some point, and then, Mayhem would be ready for her. For now, she had other things to attend to. "I must take the Man of Bats to the Queen," she told Balthazar, who nodded in response.

"I'm not going anywhere," the vigilante argued upon hearing her. She pulled out a remote and pointed it toward him, and with the press of a button he was encapsulated in an antigravity forcefield and lifted off the ground, unable to escape. "Alright I stand corrected, I am going somewhere."

Mayhem had only taken a few steps toward her ship when another approached the spa temple. She paused to wait as it landed. Two figures hopped out of the scouting ship. They both wore similar armor to her own, though one had red and blue markings in place of her pink and teal, and the other had black where hers was white. Havoc and Discord, her two best scouts.

They approached her and saluted. "General," Discord, the one in black, greeted.

"You've found something." They wouldn't have come looking for her otherwise.

Havoc nodded. "We spotted the Rexcelsior parked just past the system's boundaries."

Mayhem fought down a sigh, along with a few less than tasteful words. "Of course Dangervest would choose now to stir up trouble, after being silent for so long. Did he spot you? Has he tried anything yet?"

"That's just it, the ship is just sitting there. So he's probably already inside the system."

The General did sigh then, and nodded. "Alright. Havoc, grab another scouting ship. I'll need you two to split up to cover more ground, but keep in contact with each other. Sweep the system. Find him. We cannot let him disrupt everything, not when we're finally so close."

The two scouts saluted and left.

"So uh. Who's Dangervest?" Batman asked.

"No one you need to be concerned about. We'll handle him." He shrugged as she shoved him into her ship to take him back to the palace.