Chapter 21

"Giving Emmet the cold shoulder now?"

Lucy scowled into her glass, holding back an irritated huff. Of course he would come find her just to harass her. "Fuck off, Rex."

"Ooh, she swears! I hope you haven't taught my dear sweet innocent baby brother the fuck word."

Lucy snorted in spite of herself. "No, I'm not giving him the cold shoulder. He wanted to spend some time with Watevra to get to know her. So I figured I'd take the time to myself to get my head sorted out."

"And you thought alcohol would help with that." He plopped down in a chair beside her.

"Of course not. It's iced tea. What do you want, anyway?"

Rex didn't answer for a while. "I guess I just... want to make really sure you're not going to abandon him again. Been hearing some interesting rumors going around about you and a certain General."

Lucy's cheeks turned a fascinating shade of pink, and she thumped her head onto the table. "That's part of what I'm trying to get sorted out..." she muttered. "I love Emmet, I do! And now that things are finally settled and we don't have to worry about danger anymore I want to tell him yes, but..."

"Systar's brainwashing effects got to you too, huh?"

"Yeah," she sighed miserably. "And she's just... so sweet..." She let out a helpless laugh. "I seem to have a type." She sat up again and scrubbed at her face. "That and all the new memories. I used to think being a nobody before I became a Master Builder was such a terrible thing, but compared to this new 'I used to be a pop star' backstory, I think I preferred being a nobody. It feels so alien."

"That's a mood," Rex muttered. He let out a long, slow breath. "I'm still kind of pissed at you all, but I think... had I been in your shoes, I would have made the same decision. I'll probably even be grateful for it someday, just. Not right now." Lucy nodded absently. "Lu. Whatever you decide to do, talk to Emmet about it first. He deserves that much from you, at least."

"Yeah..." she murmured. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry. I never should have asked Emmet, asked you, to be someone you weren't just to make me happy. That's not a mistake I'll be making again."

Rex stared at her for a long moment. "...Thanks," he murmured eventually, and shoved himself back out of his chair, leaving the hall. Lucy watched as he retreated, then shrugged and turned back to her tea. She'd said what she needed to.

Plans for the merging of Apocalypseburg and  Systar were already well underway

Plans for the merging of Apocalypseburg and Systar were already well underway. It sounded like the Systarians were intending to move several of their inhabited moons into Alterra's system, but for the most part they would be relocating to the planet itself and working on terraforming it to restore it after their warring had rendered it nearly lifeless. They'd even already begun some of the reconstruction- the ruins of Bricksburg finally got torn completely down, and foundations for the new city were being laid down.

Lucy wore a new ring- a proper engagement ring, this time. She'd insisted on Emmet making this one as well, and loved it just as much as the one that had been lost, if not more. She and Emmet had also eventually sat down to have their talk about Lucy's increasing interest in Sweet.

"I know," Emmet soothed as Lucy fumbled over her words. "I've known for several years now." She stared at him, dumbfounded.

"How...?"

"You're the most important person in my life, Lucy. I know I'm not always the most observant person, but when it came to you, I paid attention."

"Why didn't you ever say anything?"

"It seemed like something you were still coming to terms with. I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"And you're not- upset? Jealous? Anything?"

Emmet reached to twine his fingers with hers. "Of course not. You deserve the world, and Sweet's an awesome person. I'd be happy to have her around."

"Why? You like her too?" Lucy teased, finally relaxing. Emmet smiled, gently tugging her close to touch their foreheads together.

"You know you're the only one for me."

A  year to the day after their kidnapping, Syspocalypstar was ready for  its first inhabitants

A year to the day after their kidnapping, Syspocalypstar was ready for its first inhabitants. There was a planet-wide celebration involving a lot of food, music, and fireworks. "I gotta admit, it feels good to be home," Rex told Emmet.

"Rex, you've been here helping to rebuild the whole time."

"Yeah but it didn't have the 'home' vibes til it was finished." He paused. "The flowers everywhere are gonna take some getting used to, though." Emmet laughed.

The two brothers glanced up at the sound of Mayhem's jetpack approaching, and the General dropped Lucy down onto the overlook with them. "Hey!" Emmet greeted, giving Lucy a hug. "Where've you two been?"

Lucy only grinned and shoved a pair of binoculars into his hands. "I've got a surprise for you," she purred, directing his gaze to the distance. He scanned the horizon for a moment, and then froze, nearly dropping the binoculars.

"Our house!"

Lucy smiled and wrapped her arms around him, kissing his cheek. "Sweet and I worked on it all day yesterday. Hope you don't mind that we made some modifications to it."

"Not at all!" He leaned back into her embrace, wiping his eyes. "I'm just- you actually rebuilt it..."

"I loved the house you built for us. I'm sorry I ever made you think otherwise."

"You do realize you've got an audience, right?" Rex drawled, and laughed when Lucy flipped him off.

"You've sure got the 'obnoxious big brother' thing down pat now," she huffed at him. Sweet started giggling. Rex only smirked at her.

"Gotta say though, I'm jealous Emmet gets to live with two gorgeous babes."

"Flatterer."

"So where are you gonna stay, Rex?" Emmet asked.

Rex shrugged. "I'll probably just get a flat in the city. The raptors will stay with the Rexcelsior, keep an eye on it in the meantime. I probably won't stay, the boredom will get to me at some point-"

"Aww Rex, no-" Emmet gasped.

"But I want some time to enjoy being back home first. And it's not gonna be like last time, I'm not gonna disappear for ten years again. I'll be sure to come back and tell you all about my adventures." Emmet sulked at him. "Hey. I promise. I finally got you back, I'm not gonna risk losing you again."

"Just- don't leave without saying goodbye...?"

"Of course not." Rex reached over and ruffled Emmet's hair, grinning. "You're stuck with me now, kid."