Chapter 10

"Brickowski!" Business greeted upon spotting him, grinning widely. "Fancy seeing you here! Did you come for the wedding?"

"Yeah," Emmet answered, barely giving it a thought. "What are you doing here? I thought you went golfing!"

"Oh I did, I did," Business waved him off. "But wouldn't you know it, our world is flat? I lost my golf ball over the edge! I fell too when I tried to get it back, and one of those nice Auroran scouts saved me and brought me here! And this place is so great, I haven't left since!" Rex and Emmet exchanged glances; Rex looked weirded out by the whole exchange. "Who's your friend?"

"Actually, this is my brother, Rex," Emmet introduced him.

Business lit right up. "You have a brother! That's great! I have a brother too actually, did you know?" He paused, then frowned. "It's been a long time since I last saw him..."

"Do you miss him?" Emmet asked.

"I suppose, I mean we were never super close or anything... Kind of sad, isn't it...?" He perked back up again. "But hey, once our world is merged with Systar, Risky and I will have all the time in the world to hang out!"

"Almost had him," Rex muttered. Emmet elbowed him.

"Say, I hope you two aren't planning on going to the wedding dressed like that. It's a high-profile event, you know, you'll stick out like sore thumbs!"

Rex pounced on the opportunity. "Yeah we kinda came on short notice. Don't suppose you might be able to help us out?"

"Sure, there's time yet! Come on!" Business gestured for them to follow, and began to walk again. "So how's Bricksburg been in my absence?"

Lucy  was marched back into the palace by the black-armored scout, hands  bound in front of her

Lucy was marched back into the palace by the black-armored scout, hands bound in front of her. Mayhem was waiting for them. Lucy gave her a defiant glare.

"General," the scout greeted with a salute. "We lost sight of the tall one, but Dangervest and his other companion were spotted heading toward Suburbia. Havoc's on their trail as we speak."

"Excellent work," Mayhem praised. "I'll handle this one. I need you back out there to find the missing rebel."

"Of course, General." Discord left them, then. The two stared at each other. Lucy watched warily, wondering what Mayhem would do next. She wasn't expecting the General to pop off her helmet.

Or for her to be so cute.

...Damn it, where did that thought come from-?!

"I'm sorry," Mayhem said. "It seems we started off on the wrong foot."

"And whose fault is that?" Lucy snapped. The General bowed her head, accepting the blame.

"The Duplos told us about all of their encounters with your people. I thought, if I talked tough, if I acted tough, maybe then I could get you to listen. The Duplo scouts we sent certainly didn't seem to be getting anywhere with you." She held up a hand to forestall Lucy's argument. "We did eventually realize they weren't the best ambassadors to send to your planet, which was why we stopped sending them."

The human blinked as that sank in. "So- it wasn't because we moved to Apocalypseburg?"

It was Mayhem's turn to stare in surprise. "No... You built it because of the Duplos?"

"We thought it was the only thing that would stop attracting them!"

"We thought you moved there because it was part of your 'aesthetic' or something..."

Lucy heaved an aggravated sigh and dragged her hands over her face. "Would you just tell me what it is you want with us? Cause we tried to play nice at first, but then your Duplos started trying to eat people. They even said they were there to destroy us!"

"We just wanted to join you," Mayhem said softly. "To play with you. You inspired our world. You gave us our queen. We've always looked up to you..."

"You guys are terrible communicators," Lucy sighed.

"I know," Mayhem admitted, flinching. "But that's why I had Havoc and Discord bring you to me, so that we can just... talk, and try to figure something out together. Like we should have done from the start. That's kind of what this whole wedding thing is about, even. We're trying to find a way to stop all the fighting."

Lucy let her guard down. The alien General seemed sincere. "Alright," she relented. "Alright. What did you have in mind?"

Somewhere in the back of her mind, she was certain someone would have been proud of her for taking the peaceful option. She shoved the thought from her mind, giving Mayhem her full attention.