chapter 2

Time skip 1 day.

Tanjiro had fallen asleep in daki’s arms and likewise they had slept in the same bed. This was no strange occurrence to them. They had slept in the same bed many times before. Getting up in the morning, Tanjiro said goodbye to daki and Gyutaro before making his way out of the red light district and into the world beyond. Deciding to make his way straight to mount fujikasane tanjiro reached the mountain in 3 days time. It would have taken closer to a week but he had used his speed to get to the mountain. Arriving at the foot of the mountain the first thing tanjiro saw was the massive amount of wisteria trees covering it halfway up the mountain. Tanjiro had no issues getting up the mountain being mostly human allowed him to pass through the mountains with ease. Reaching the halfway point, Tanjiro saw all the people around him. A few caught his eye, there was a boy with spiky black hair and scars on his face. He had an angry psycho look in his eyes. Then there was a girl who had shoulder length black hair in a pony tail towards the side of her head held up by a butterfly shaped hair pin. She was wearing a bright pink kimono. She had pink eyes that seemed to be depressed in some way. Tanjiro decided to put this off till later, choosing to look around more. He saw a muscular woman with what looked like a boar head covering their face. She had blue baggy pants covered by animal fur. She had bandages wrapped around her chest in an x formation. Looking further to his left, Tanjiro saw a yellow haired girl in a yellow jacket with triangles on it. She looked quite terrified to be there. The last person tanjiro paid attention to was a girl with waist length black hair tied in a spiky ponytail. She was wearing a pink kimono with asahina or hemp leaf patterns on it with a ichimatsu patterned sash. She also had bright pink eyes. Contrasting the outfit she had a green and black checkered jacket. Tanjiro himself was wearing the usual demon slayer outfit but with a crimson red jacket that had black flames on the bottom. Just then Tanjiro noticed two girls standing on the platform above them. They seemed to be identical twins with the only difference being their hair one was white the other was black. Tanjiro recognised these two instantly as the ubayashiki family daughters. As much as tanjiro wanted to go up and torture them to gain access to their father he had to maintain his cool. If he messed up now there was no way he could beat everyone here. Speaking up, the two young girls explained the rules of final selection. They had to go onto the mountain, survive 1 week up there with the demons and make their way back down by the eighth morning. This marks the start of final selection the two girls said in unison. Rushing forward the participants made their way through the gates and up the mountains.

Time skip 7 days.

Tanjiro had no issues surviving on the mountains. He had come across many other demons but none had posed a threat to him. On the third day he had come across a demon with multiple hands covering its body. It was about to eat the girl with the green jacket when tanjiro jumped in to save her.

Flashback start
Tanjiro was walking through the trees when he heard a scream coming from a girl. Rushing towards the sound, Tanjiro tore through the trees coming face to face with the hand demon. The girl with the green jacket was about to be slapped to the side by the hand demon when tanjiro rushed in and pushed her out of the way, getting hit himself. Tanjiro crashed into a tree hitting his head. Getting up quickly, Tanjiro's wound healed as tanjiro left the blood to avoid suspicion. Damn he thought, I can't fight full power with that girl watching. Blood breathing, he said, seventh form blood clone. Creating an identical copy of tanjiro. The copy ran when the girl picked her up and began to run. Fighting the clone the girl broke from its grip and lept up at the demon's head. Water breathing she said second form water wheel. The demon screamed because its arm had just been sliced off. Falling to the ground the girl was caught by the real tanjiro. Setting her down, Tanjiro took her sword saying he was just borrowing it. Being in too much shock the girl said nothing. Rushing forward, Tanjiro jumped to the demon's head. Blood breathing he said, fourth form ronin. Disappearing in a flash, Tanjiro reappeared behind the demon. Looking back and laughing the demon said, you missed brat now i’ll kill you. Did I, said a smirking tanjiro, suddenly crescent shaped blades shot out of the demon's neck cutting its head clean off. As the demon turned to ash tanjiro went up and secretly drank some of the demon's blood to gain all its power before destroying the demon DNA preventing it from affecting his body. Walking back to the girl he handed her back her sword before introducing himself as tanjiro chinobi. The girl replied with her own name. Nezuko, nezuko kamado. Walking with her through the forest they began to talk about their families. Tanjiro said nothing of daki and the other demons, instead he described his birth parents. When nezuko asked where they were now. Tanjiro hesitated for a second. They were killed by a demon. If nezuko was shocked at this she did a good job at hiding it. My family was killed by a demon too. Eyes widening, Tanjiro could only hope it was an unranked demon that killed them. Unknown to him, nezuko was feeling nothing but anger towards the demon that killed her family, muzan kibutsuji.