1 || Television

My eyes were glued. Not literally, but metaphorically. I wasn't completely lying though. My face was as close as I could get to the screen, still being able to see her beautiful face.

I admired her features. Every tiny detail evident through the pixels that make up her perfectly structured face. It was no joke that she was maybe the most beautiful human being I had ever seen in my life, and I read playboy magazines (sorry mom). Her eyes sparkled as she covered a story, her hair bounced when she made those sudden movements and her voice sounded angelic as she spoke with care and honesty. Her eyes stared at the camera before her, linking her to my screen in front of me. She's looking at me.

She's looking at me.

To say I was obsessed was an understatement, and frankly I'm not proud. But when I look at her, my life is at ease. Just by looking in her delicate brown eyes through the television screen, I can see so much. Her personality shines through her eyes. She seemed sweet, honest, caring, loyal, approachable and loveable. And I wanted her.

She was the one that could fill the void inside of me. The emptiness I have been feeling for so long.

Maybe it was because I was far from my family, or that I lived alone, or that I had few friends. All I know is that she is the one for me, and I will go to the extremes to make her mine.

-

"Morning." The bells clinked against one another and I opened the coffee shops door.

"Morning Harry." Justine greeted me, handing over a freshly made cup of coffee in my direction.

"Thanks." I take the cup from her grip, it's emitting heat warming my hands.

"I'll be out back if you need me, but the customers should be keeping you busy for the next couple of hours." She walks away, her voice slowing fading away.

I brought my apron around my waste and tied a knot around the back. I set up the coffee machine and got the cash register ready. The open sign was turned and I was ready for work at approximately 5:58 in the morning. And now, I wait.

As the clock struck six, a wave of men and women flooded through the coffee shop, all dressed in work clothing or early morning workout clothing. Some on the phone to executives and others with their earphones in, all in their own world, just like me. I didn't pay any attention to them, only taking their order, making their coffee and making them pay. Once they got what they wanted, they were gone.

This continued on until four. As I closed up, I put everything away, cleaning up any mess made by the customers throughout the day, Justine called me from out the back.

"Yeah Justine?" I stood at her doorway, on the verge of leaving for the day.

"I've gotten a complaint on the coffee you've made. A customer had told me that this coffee was horrific and that she would never have coffee here ever again." She told me, taking me by surprise.

"What the-. I've never gotten a complaint before. Only tips in the tip jar." I defended myself.

"I know. I'm not going to do anything about it, it's okay. Just continue on with how you usually do things." She shooed me off.

"Have a good night!" I shouted at the front door of the shop, turning all the lights off.

"You too." Justine spoke.

I began my walk around the city. Strolling through the parks and streets as the sun began its descent into darkness. I arrived home around 5:30, like every night, just enough time to get dinner ready, and have time to watch her.

"Hello, and welcome to six o'clock news. I'm Kerry Haham, and here are tonight's top stories." The front man of the news spoke through the television screen.

I wondered what story she would report on tonight. Maybe about political issues, or domestic violence around the world or maybe a local story about a family with 11 kids owning a successful business, selling fresh fruit and vegetables.

As time passed on, the hourly news almost had come to an end and she still hadn't shown up on my screen like every other night.

I felt lonely. It hurt not seeing her.

I turned the TV off and went to bed, hopefully waking on a day where I'd see her again.

-
Thank You everyone for all the support. This chapter has gotten more reads than I had hoped for. Some won't be as appreciated but that makes me strive to improve.