Chapter 201 - For His Sake

“Sidharth isn’t like that!” Shehnaaz had been able to keep
her composure in front of Rashmi Desai, but she lost it now in
front of Kartik. She clenched her fists and stood up, eyes blazing. Her fair, delicate face was now bright red with anger. Kartik felt
as though he had just witnessed a pretty comic book character suddenly come alive, right in front of his eyes. She was perfectly harmless, but her lively, radiant beauty was like a bullet to his heart…

Kartik abruptly turned away. He made for the door; he did not want to spend another minute talking to Shehnaaz. He had just laid his hand on the door handle when Shehnaaz caught up with him and grabbed his sleeve.
“Professor Sen, you can’t talk about Sidharth like that.”

“I just did. What are you going to do about it?” Kartik turned around and looked at Shehnaaz frostily. His bright, almond-shaped eyes were full of anger. He pressed his thin lips together as his fists, clenched tight, shook uncontrollably.

Shehnaaz was scared. She immediately released Kartik’s sleeve and stepped backwards.

Sidharth’s calm, magnetic voice sounded over her earpiece. “Steady now, Sana. Anger won’t solve anything.” Sidharth’s voice reassured her.

Shehnaaz took a deep breath, and quickly calmed down. She closed her eyes and said sincerely, “Professor Sen, I’m 18 years old. I know what I’m doing. Nobody forced me to be a negotiator, I’m helping Sidharth because I want to. In fact, it’s been a lifelong dream of mine to be of assistance to him. I hope you’ll be able to understand.”

“And what if I can’t?”

“Then shut up. Keep your comments to yourself, I didn’t ask
for them,” Shehnaaz said savagely. “Not even my mom and
dad can tell me what to do!”

Kartik was taken aback. “Your mom and dad? But according to your CV, they’re both dead, aren’t they?”

“Uh…” Shehnaaz stared at Kartik, tongue-tied. After a long moment, she finally said: “It was just an example, okay? A hypothetical situation!”

A thought occurred to Kartik. He let out an inaudible sigh, and shoved his hands into his pockets. He said coolly: “You think you’re the Special Ops’ negotiator now, just because they said so? Did you honestly think it’s as easy as
that? You’re naïve, and that’s a fact.”

“But Sidharth said so…” Shehnaaz muttered indignantly. “Sidharth would never lie to me.”

“Heh, is that so?” His mouth twitched as he looked around the interrogation room. He turned towards the camera in the corner and addressed it in a mocking tone as he pointed at Shehnaaz. “You’re watching, aren’t you? Tell her, in your own words, the steps and paperwork required to hire someone as a negotiator for the Special Ops. Is Shehnaaz
qualified? Do you dare swear on the country you love so dearly, that you haven’t lied to her?”

Shehnaaz narrowed her eyes. She had not expected Kartik to be so angry about her role as the Special Ops’ negotiator. She did not think she owed him an explanation, but she did not want to continue arguing with him, either.

Shehnaaz racked her brains, and came up with an idea. She smiled pleasantly. “Since you seem to hate it so much, I don’t mind stepping down from my role as negotiator. In exchange, can you help me sign a letter proving that I interned at the US Congress for six months? I need that letter because I want to defend someone in court, as an actual practicing lawyer.”

Kartik raised an eyebrow. His dark eyebrows were perfectly shaped, as though God himself had lovingly sculpted them with a knife. They complemented his
shimmering, sultry eyes. Shehnaaz had yielded unexpectedly, and Kartik was
momentarily at a loss as to how to react. His anger died away.