Chapter 204 - Everyone's A Drama Queen

Devika paled. All the strength went out of her, andshe had to steady herself on the horizontal bar before her.She trembled all over, her teeth chattering loudly.

The lawyer representing Devika walked to the front ofthe courtroom with an unhappy expression on his face. Heshowed the judge Devika’s medical records from sixyears ago, and pointed out her history of mental illness.“Your Honor, Devika Gandhi did not mean to do it. She had amental breakdown six years ago, and had to leave the military because of it.”

The lawyer turned around. His gaze swept nonchalantly across Sidharth’s face. “As the saying goes, it takes two to tango, and matters of the heart are never simple. But it would be pointless to argue about it here; it’s all in the past now, and no one can say who was wrong and who was right in a failed relationship. I would like to remind everyone present, however, that the law states that the mentally ill cannot be held legally accountable for their actions. You cannot convict them, not even if they personally killed someone. And we know the two Special Ops men died by accident, so…”

Sidharth stood up and interrupted the lawyer. Hecalmly said, “As this is a secret trial that will never be made public, allow me to remind you that the two Special Ops soldiers who died did not lose their lives by accident. It was an act of revenge, related to the mission I undertook with Devika Gandhi in Europe seven years ago. That is all, Your Honor. I hope you will take what I have said into
consideration.”

When Sidharth stood up to speak, Devika’s eyesimmediately lit up. Her face brightened. After listening to what he had said, she seemed to lose
herself in the memories of their mission together. A parade of emotions flickered across her race: joy, heartache, fear, and profound sorrow.

She suddenly began to sing.

“When the pear trees are a-bloom, and the river is veiled with a gentle mist, Katyusha stands on the steep banks, singing a song of spring…”

“The young warrior stationed at the border longs for his sweetheart, so far away, but he bravely fights to defend the motherland, because he knows Katyusha’s love will always belong to him…”

Devika had a beautiful singing voice, and the song “Kaytusha” had a haunting melody. But Sidharth
thought the lyrics to the song were exceedingly ironic,coming from her.

He interrupted her singing. “…You don’t deserve to sing this. Your Honor, if you’ll excuse me, I have other things to attend to.”

Sidharth turned and walked out.

Devika abruptly stopped singing. She stared at Sidharth’s retreating back, unable to believe her eyes, and gave a loud, sorrowful cry: “…Sidharth! Is your heart made of steel?! Are you even madeof flesh and blood?! You’re nothing but a killing machine! I curse you, Sidharth: you will spend your entire life alone, and every girl who falls in love with you will end up paying for it!”

Sidharth stopped walking. He raised his head to the ceiling, but did not say anything for a few seconds. He
turned to look at Dou Qingyan, and said: “You appear to be lucid enough to curse me. Your mental illness has been miraculously cured, congratulations. Your Honor, please add ‘faking a mental disorder’ to her list of crimes. I hope you will conduct a fair trial, and show our fallen soldiers that there is still justice in the world.” As the saying went: “Justice may be delayed, but it will never be denied.”

There were no longer any doubts as to Devika’s innocence.

Devika’s lawyer was shaking in his boots. He knewthey had lost, and it took him every ounce of his self-
discipline to remain in the courtroom and see the trial through instead of bolting for the door.