Chapter 1 Out With The Old

The last time I remember being awake was hmmm... Wait, when was the last time I was awake? All I could see was a void of darkness and a sudden sharp pricking pain that seem to be shooting into my skin, well I hope it's skin. I've been looking at black for so long that the concept of time is lost to me and the sense of touch has become ice to the touch.

Hmm... Just give me a sec to think and remember. Wait, I think something's coming back to me.

I remember something: it was early in the morning, before dawn. I was on the bus heading to work and I was following my daily routine which consisted of looking out the window and zoning out. Felt like the day would be the same; same bus, same job, same life.

Boring.

But I couldn't be more mistaken in that moment because as my eyes looked out to the distance, holes in the sky started opening. My eyes went from a dull depressing gaze to a look of horror on my face, as a crater the size of a mountain engulfed the water that surrounded the bridge my bus was crossing over I fall back in my seat confused. I must be dreaming right? The bus continues moving into the next part of the city, the other passengers and I saw dark shadows shooting out of a crater. Everyone on the bus started panicking. I couldn't blame them cause what we saw after was straight out of a book of horrors.

A hand appeared from the crater. It looked shadowy with mist and there were about twenty smaller figures starting to surround the hand. I felt a sense of unknowing pressure coming from these beings, it was kind of weird. As I kept looking, I ended up making eye contact with one of these things and a chill went down my spine as it gave me a grin with a bloody smile and ruby red eyes. With this sense of fear running down my spine. I ran to the front of the bus and told the bus driver he had to move faster. We have to get across the bridge before something worse happens.

I looked back to where the entities were and suddenly they were all gone. For a moment, I thought we were safe but then another shadowy figure appeared next to the bus moving slowly as if it was toying with us. Showing us that he isn't even trying to chase us and that he could remove us from this world in an instant. A chilling laugh came from the creature as he darted to the front of the bus. We halted in fear, knowing if we make one mistake we would end up dead. I couldn't understand how a normal day of boring everyday life turned to a day where everyone on the bus was screaming in panic and fear. The panic soon settled when we noticed  that the demon appeared to be gone. looking back towards the front of the bus where the demon supposedly vanished we let out a sigh of relief as is he lost interest in us. Without warning we see claws grabbing the corner of the bus The demons back and he's ferociously rips the top of the bus... "I don't know about you guys but I've never felt so hopeless retelling this part of the story to my self always gets my blood pumping." The fear begins to engulf the bus once more but no one need to say a world for you to tell how scared everyone was. It felt like we were a can of sardines being forcefully opened while stearing at the thing floating before us. He begins to speak in but not in English but an unfamiliar tongue.

He continues to speak realizing we can't understand him he clears his throat and says "Hello you incompetent beings of the middle realm," We all looked at each other in confusion. Middle realm? What did he mean by that? He sighed and continued "You are the ones who live between the worlds of demons and angels, the battleground of the gods. We seek not to destroy you." He let out a cruel snicker. "...yet that is. We seek to expand our reach to this neutral plane and take it for ourselves."

At this point, we were all so scared and felt like this was the end but a lady proceeded to yell back at this creature saying "This is our home you can't..." as I put my head down to hide under one of the seats. Next to the front door of the bus I saw a head towards me. I covered my mouth in disgust and fear, not ready to face the consequences for screaming.