One

[A/N: I like, never do this where I put the characters outfit up, but in my opinion the fashion is so important to the Scream franchise I'm gonna do it just for this book.]

Jacqueline "Jacqui" Hawthorne lied down against the countertop, still very tired and waiting for her breakfast to be ready. She glanced at the clock that was hanging just above her head, she still had well about forty minutes to get to her school's campus.

She plated the toast and put it down on the kitchen table before walking over to the coffee machine and pouring some into her Garfield mug.

Jacqui was alone in the house as per usual. Her parents were very busy people. She lifted her backpack filled with the bare minimum of school supplies and numerous unnecessary things, slinging it over her shoulder. She opened the door, realized how bright it was, went back inside, put on her sunglasses, then walked out and closed the door behind her.

The school was about twenty minutes away by foot from her house, which she was annoyed with because she still hadn't gotten her license back.

Jacqui saw a car start to drive near her, which she quickly recognized as a random classmate of hers. She stopped the car and pressed her hand against the roof as the driver rolled down their window. "Hey, Jac," he smiled.

"Peter, my guy, can I get a ride again?" She asked.

Peter barely thought about it before pressing the button to unlock all the doors. "Sure," Jacqui grinned as he pushed the other front seat's door open.

Jacqui was not a helpful person to be around, but she was a genuinely friendly and funny, whether she meant to be or not. This meant she had a lot of friends from the school, despite not knowing a good amount of them's names.

It was a picture-perfect small-town school, old and charming with students coming and going, moving about. Today, nothing seemed unusual, except for the six police cars, four news vans, flashing cameras, and crowds of people.

Jacqui chuckled in excitement, realizing something big must have happened as she exited the car and said her thanks. Four different reporters stood in front of four different cameras, all giving different news reports.

Jacqui moved past a policeman standing guard. With her interest peaked, she stopped at the very first reporter she saw; the one and only Gale Weathers. Jacqui stared in awe for a moment before she squeezed her way through the crowd to find her usual group of friends in the same spot as always, lounging around at one of the many stone fountains spread across the campus.

Sidney and Tatum, along with their boyfriends, were occupying any place on and in front of it. "Morning bitches," Jacqui waved her hand up as she approached and stood next to them, still wearing her shades and clearly tired yet happy.

Billy Loomis sat next to his girlfriend, Sidney, one arm draped over her while his shoulders were hung low. His brown eyes raised to meet Jacqui's and instantly his serious expression morphed into annoyance as he regarded her. "Hey,"

"Jacqui," Sidney greeted timidly with a smile etched on her lips. She, much like Billy, looked practically flawless with the soft and innocent quality to her face.

Then there was Tatum, the blonde girl that had her boyfriend Stu laying over her lap. She was the stellar opposite of Sidney personality-wise - loud, sarcastic, extremely social, and didn't take shit from anyone, a perfect match for her lover, Stu. Stu was . . . well, Stu. "Ooh!" Stu piped up, beaming with a boyish smile when he saw her.

Before Jacqui knew it, she was wrapped in a tight hug with his head resting on top of her, he started swaying her left and right, much to her annoyance. "Okay, not too much energy right now, wait like two hours!" She stiffened up until she got placed down.