Seven

Ghostface hadn't shown up to attack Jacqui once. Not once — other than the van incident — had she felt like she was being watched.

Jacqui sat on her bed, turned with her feet on the floor as she continuously stared at the wall, like she had done for almost the entirety of her time since she'd gotten back.

That night, a knock sounded against Jacqui's dorm door, breaking her thoughts. She would've assumed it to be Laurie, but then she remembered that she was also gone.

Jacqui didn't answer in any form as she turned her head and stood up, still clearly shaky with dried tears remaining on her face from before.

"Jac, it's Mickey." The voice called through the door. Jacqui's guard went down as she opened the door up and allowed him into the room.

"Mickey, you know you're not allowed outside of your own dorm this late." Jacqui told him, locking the door behind him as he walked in.

"Yeah, well, my roommate wanted alone time with some sorority chick." Mickey said, a charming smile would usually be covering his face but now his expression stayed blank other than his furrowed brows as he stood in front her, having caught a whiff of something in the air. "Have you been doing . . .?" Mickey didn't finish, but it was very clear what he was asking.

Jacqui slowly nodded, the upset expression on her face getting notably worse at his question. "Yeah," she answered after a moment of silence, seeming ashamed. "A year of sobriety out the goddamn window because I can't handle one fucking tragedy— it's pathetic." She dug her face in her hands, visibly angry with herself. "I told everyone I was getting better, everyone." She glanced back at him and then down at the ground, turning away and fidgeting with her hands. "I fucked up. I was there and I didn't do anything. I let it happen."

Mickey stared at her for a moment, hesitating to speak. "Listen, I just wanted to talk—"

His words were cut off when Jacqui threw herself into a hug, after a moment Mickey wrapped his arms back around her, her head rested in between his head and his neck.

"How bad is it?" Mickey asked, his chin rested against the top of her head while she felt his hands rubbing her arms.

"I just can't anymore." Jacqui answered, not thinking much of her answer. Her voice was shaky and her breathing was clearly off. "I can't do this. It's my fault, I just stood there."

"It's not your fault, Jac." He reassured, and much to her confusion, he sounded completely confident.

Maybe he was just so reassured for her comfort, because there was no way for anyone to know for sure that she wasn't going to be killed.

"How can you be so sure?" Jacqui questioned, backing up a bit so she could look into his eyes. Her eyes were tired and full of confusion while Mickey's were full of confidence, admiration, and mischief. There was so much buried behind his eyes, things that she couldn't begin to understand.

"You were the one they called, and they went after someone else instead." He told her, a smile playing over his lips. "That means you were probably never a target."

She stood there as her mind began to wander.

Jacqui's face dropped as the realization hit her.

"Mickey?"

"Yeah?"

"How'd you know I was the one Ghostface called?"

Silence was all that met her ears, it was deafening. Almost as deafening as the sound of Mickey's pounding and quickening heartbeat against her head.

A disgruntled scream suddenly left Jacqui's parted lips when she felt a sharp pain in her stomach, almost identical as the last time.

Her breath was heavy, it became more and more difficult for her to breathe in while it hurt to breathe out. Jacqui's eyes looked down to the blade now sticking through her flannel shirt and into the right side of her stomach as tears filled her eyes once again. "What the fuck—?!" She choked out, even speaking bringing her more pain.

Mickey's free arm was holding onto her shoulder as he now held her across from him. Jacqui stared up at him with both of her hands gripping, one hand on his wrist that was holding the knife and the other tightly latched on his bicep. "This wasn't how it was supposed to go! Fuck!" He was screaming, his eyes filled with tears. "This wasn't supposed to happen either!"

Blood poured out from Jacqui's wound as multiple tears began to stream down her face. "You killed—" Jacqui's breathing got even more unsteady than before as he pushed the knife deeper.

"I didn't want to have to hurt you—" Mickey panicked, his voice loud. "You're gonna tell everyone, I can't let you live." He twisted the blade, his voice raised.

Jacqui's voice was too hoarse for her to scream again. She tried, but only a sob came out as her grip tightened, nails digging into his skin.

"Mick, don't— please—" Jacqui was crying, her entire body trembling. Her eyes showed a mix of all the emotions she felt in that moment. Fear, sadness, betrayal, sincerity, confusion, regret, hopelessness.

Jacqui's grip began to loosen until Mickey ripped the knife out and she immediately collapsed to the floor. "I'm sorry, Jac." He told her while shaking his head, she could do nothing but look back up at him while she tried to shift back, her hand struggling to stop the blood heavily pouring out from her wound and between her fingers. "It was the only other way."

Jacqui just watched as Mickey walked out and locked the door behind him.

Mickey had always been a suspect, she just never saw it actually coming. He was actively and brutally killing people she knew, and she was hanging out with him right afterward.

Jacqui cried and whimpered as she slowly pulled herself off the ground, holding onto her nightstand as much as she could. She limped over to her dresser to get closer to the door, leaning against it while still covering the wound with her right hand, she used her other to reach out to the doorknob before she could fully reach it.

Jacqui's eyes were still tear-filled but she continued her way to the exit and walked out, leaving the door agape and a blood trail behind her.