Prologue

The sun's light filtered through the trees as it began to dip below the horizon, placing an almost peaceful feeling on my shoulders. I smiled at him, his beautiful chocolate eyes staring off into the trees, shining almost honey colored as the sun touched them. His thumb slowly rubs circles on the back of my hand, our final night together.

"Where is your family taking you?" I asked, breaking through the silence. Needing to ask the question that has been lying on the tip of my tongue.

He glanced down at our intertwined fingers, a melancholy expression smothering out any joy he previously showed. Releasing a breath, he kissed my hand before looking at my eyes, "New York."

"That's a long way from here."

"It's only a few hours."

"Not if I walk."

He chuckled, "Oh, my love, you're a stubborn woman."

"It's not fair though. We're almost eighteen, we were so close to escaping and making a life for ourselves."

"Once I'm settled, have a career of my own and money...I'll come looking for you. I'll always find you."

I couldn't force a smile through the frown on my face, the doubt still twisting its arms around my throat. A dull ache formed in my chest as I curled into him, wishing it wouldn't come to this. We're only a week away from turning eighteen, where we can go to college and be together. I guess the family from New York decided that was the type of son they wanted. One who is responsible, independent and doesn't need their undivided attention. It works for Raphael though since his new family is Italian. He was found on a boat with Italian immigrants, none of them claiming him. He'll be able to learn about the culture he was born from, the one thing he has always wanted to learn.

"You think they'll take you to Italy? Maybe you'll find your birth family," I spoke, placing a kiss on his cheek.

He shrugged, "I'd love to see Italy, to know where my family possibly came from. I don't care about finding them though, they abandoned me on a boat where strangers had to care for me. I was forced into their hands and then thrown into this place. I don't want to ever meet them."

"They could have passed away."

"Then they would've found their bodies. They didn't come on a tiny, wooden boat, Evania. They came on a rather wealthy ship, tucked away behind a bunch of crates. I'm not sure why they didn't use a plane."

I chuckled, "If you're trying to sneak into a country, I doubt someone would want to be super obvious by going onto a plane. You know the security checks they do. They would need a passport, to explain why they're here and so on. We've learned about this."

"I'm sure they could have found a way. Others have."

"You make it sound so easy."

A smirk stretched through his lips as he gently shoved me, "I'm a genius, it would be easy."

"Be careful or else you'll find yourself as a criminal with that mindset."

"A criminal mastermind."

Rolling my eyes, I kissed him on the cheek before settling beside him once more. Watching the sun finish its descent as the moon grew brighter. I held back the tears that were begging to fall, not wanting Raphael to feel guilty for leaving. We relaxed in our regular meeting spot, watching the moon rise one last time.

A/N: Welcome! This is just a new romance story I'm trying out. Obsidian Part II is in the works!! Meanwhile, enjoy this book! :)