Chapter 2

I glanced down at my phone, sighing in relief when it reflected seven-thirty, giving me thirty minutes to reach the building. I had planned on grabbing a taxi once I got deeper into the city, but luck had abandoned me today as everyone appears to be using them. With the snow beginning to blanket the ground, the sidewalks were more empty than I had first arrived. It makes traveling to work a bit easier, but it doesn't help with avoiding being accidentally shoved or needing to squeeze through people.

Narrowing my eyes, I noticed the large sign with the lawyer's office name in gold letters. The snow was beginning to stick to it as it shifted into a heavier pace. I groaned at the ache in my feet and the bitter cold that was seeping through my damp coat. My hands felt like blocks of ice, the pale skin turning red as I attempted to keep them warm with my pockets. I made a mental note to either find my gloves or buy a new pair, god only knows I don't need frostbite right now.

Stepping into the building, I sighed in relief as the wall of warm air hit me. My cheeks and nose felt as if they were melting, my skin finally warming back up. Organizing myself, I made my way to the front desk while I eyed the people standing around.

It's not what I imagined a lawyer's office to look like with its extravagant ground floor. The floors were all a white marble, with some sections having cream carpeting. There were two waiting areas with glass coffee tables and cream couches. The entire front of the building were windows, showing the winter chaos happening outside. On either side of the entrance were two, medium sized christmas trees with the stars and ornaments. People were making their way around quickly, greeting each other before making their way to whatever floor they're needed at.

Taking a deep breath to calm my racing heart, I smiled at the receptionist as she looked up at me. I swallowed down the ball of anxiety sitting in my throat when I finally reached her, attempting to appear calm and collected.

"Hi, my name is Evania Evans, I'm here for my first day as a secretary?"

The girl nodded before looking at her screen, her fingers gliding along the keyboard. Making a noise of approval, she quickly searched through a small pile of name tags.

"Ah, here you are," she grinned. "Miss. Evania Evans, you'll be reporting to the tenth floor where Mr. Alessandro Fiore is. There's a receptionist up there as soon as you exit the elevator who will show you to your office."

"Thank you," I grinned, grabbing the name tag.

I slipped it over my head, allowing it to hang around my neck before making my way to the silver elevator doors. My hands were shaking as I pressed the button, matching the extreme anxiety rushing through my veins. I kept my eyes forward, afraid to make any type of eye contact with the people waiting with me. The thought of needing to speak to a stranger or even say hello set off the warning bells in my head, my nerves telling me to abort the mission and forget about finding Raphael.

As if I have anywhere else to go.

The ride to the tenth floor felt as though it took years with me cramped inside like a sardine. As soon as I was able to escape from the moving death box, I almost collapsed against the receptionist desk. Recollecting myself for what feels like the hundredth time, I smiled towards the older woman.

"Good morning, I'm the new secretary for Mr. Alessandro Fiore."

She looked up from the screen, her eyes wide behind her glasses. Her lips immediately pulled into a smile as she stood up, "It's a pleasure to meet you! I've been wanting to have another female co-worker. Dealing with the Fiore brothers is like dealing with my own sons, it's exhausting. Besides Vittoria, there is no one else to chat with."