Chapter 6

I rested my chin on my hand as I watched the sun set behind me, the colors of the setting sun mixing beautifully with the snow clouds rolling in. I knew New York tends to get a decent amount of snowstorms, but I wasn't expecting this much. Unless this is an above average winter, I wouldn't be shocked with how crazy the weather has been lately. The combination of the setting sun and the small flurries that were beginning to fall left a peaceful feel over me, despite the situation that transpired earlier.

My thoughts were still consumed by Raphael, wondering why he decided to abandon me and choose his current fiance. I know marrying someone with no background, no family and no money wasn't a good look for him, but he was never about others' opinions. Raphael always ignored whenever someone judged him, it was what kept him on the healthier path in the orphanage. If he weren't adopted before we turned eighteen, I'm sure he would've still remained focused on college. My eyes stung with unshed tears as I imagined what life would've been like if hadn't been adopted, if he stayed and we went to college together. Maybe we weren't meant to be, maybe we would've parted ways eventually. His adoption just made it sooner. Whatever the reason was for our paths not to cross until now and for him to have chosen another woman, it's over with. I can't sit here and dwell on the what if's. Raphael is no longer mine.

"You ready to go?"

I looked over to see Vittoria standing at my office door, a soft smile spread across her lips. She was dressed in a turtleneck, tight skirt with tights underneath and a pair of cute boots. Her hair was thrown into a messy ponytail and her face adorned with light makeup. She was ready for the bar, unlike me.

I'm still wearing my office clothes.

"Uh, yeah," I answered, scrambling to get my stuff together.

"Are you okay? You seem out of it."

I nodded as I stood, "Yeah, just thinking over things."

"Sal told me what had happened. I'm guessing you and Raphael aren't lovers anymore?"

"Far from it."

I followed her out to the car, relieved to be sitting on a comfortable seat rather than my office chair. I made a mental note to buy myself a cushion or something to relieve the pressure on my tailbone. Ever since I broke it in high school it has been difficult sitting for a while, an issue my doctor told me I would be stuck with for life. That's my fault for ignoring the pain and causing more damage to the bone. Just another issue in my life caused by me.

"I think the bar tonight will be a good thing for you to unwind," Vittoria spoke, drawing me from my jumbled thoughts.

I nodded, "I think so too. I definitely need it."

"First though, we're stopping at your place. You're changing into a different outfit, those clothes can't be comfy to sit at a bar in."

"Will it wreck your style?"

"Duh," she grinned. "We both need to look good."

"Are you saying I don't look good at work? How will I ever impress the guys in the office?"

She laughed, "You look fine! But not for a bar."

________

Despite my previous habit of drinking, I have never been to a bar. I would go into the liquor store to purchase my poison and drown myself in the privacy of my own apartment or dorm. The only time I have ever drank alcohol outside of my own, was at a college party. It was the night that Miss. Lace found me on the stairs to my dorm building, mumbling about useless things. I'm not sure why I was always afraid of stepping foot inside of a bar, maybe it was the criminal shows I watched of women getting taken from bars or not wanting to socialize. Whatever the reason was, it has been long forgotten. Tonight, I'm desperate to unwind, to forget about Raphael and the bruise he left on my arm.