Chapter 3

A week had gone by fast, but slow at the same time. I barely saw Salvatore as Antonella and Vittoria had told me I'll deal with Alessandro more. Which is fine by me, he's far more intimidating to be around and he has me feeling on edge. Something about his cold stare sent shivers down my spine and an uneasy feeling in my stomach. He hasn't been inappropriate at all, but I can tell he isn't one to mess around with. Then there's my main boss, Alessandro. I can see why Vittoria fell for him, he was a very joyful guy to be around. He's either cracking random dark jokes, trying out dad jokes, talking about his plants in his office or hyper on coffee and we have to chase him around the building. He'll talk your ear off after a minute regarding his love for nature and hiking, but also how amazing his woman is. I can't help but smile every time I see the two of them together, hoping to have something similar one day.

Despite the strict overlord on the top floor and the oversized child on sugar in the office next to mine, the job is beginning to grow on me. It's nothing that I've dreamed of doing, but watching how lawyers work piqued my interest in how courts work.

Closing my laptop, I sighed in relief when my lunch hour rolled around. As if my stomach knew the time, a low gurgling sound erupted as I quickly snatched my purse. I bit my lip as I looked in my wallet, playing with the idea of splurging on myself for once and using my credit card. The forbidden piece of plastic that I swore I wouldn't use until I had the money to pay back whatever I spent on it. Slipping the silver card out, I twirled it in my fingers, my mind unable to form an actual decision.

"You have been sitting there, staring at that card for two whole minutes."

I yelped, spinning around to see Vittoria smirking at me, "What is with you and the other two just popping up? I swear, you teleport here or something."

"I'm just quiet, they're just creeps."

"And yet you're marrying one of the creeps."

She let out a small chuckle, "Well, what can I say? You warm up to them. So, I was wondering if you wanted to get some food at Pezzo d'Italia?"

"Would we be able to get in and out in time?"

"Don't worry about it. Alessandro and Salvatore are in a meeting for the next two hours, so I convinced them to give us a two hour lunch. Besides, we won't have any work to do until after they come back. Did you finish all those documents?"

"Yeah. Documents have been edited and sent back to Alessandro. I confirmed the hotel stay next month for Salvatore, just need to return his company card to him. I also helped Antonella with scheduling their meeting for Friday at three."

"Perfect. Then let's go, their food is delicious. Though, I wish we could go to Italy."

I laughed as she dragged me out of my office, barely able to grab my coat and wallet. "I think Italy is a little too far."

"I know and it sucks. You wouldn't want to leave if you tried my mother's food."

"Oh, is she in Italy?"

She nodded, a sad smile on her face, "She was too homesick to stay in the states. She didn't adjust well and my father also missed owning his vineyard in Italy. So, they went back and began their wine business again. I just hate not being able to hug them all the time."

"When do you see them?"

"Alessandro and I go twice a year, but this year we're only visiting in March. His work had increased a little when Sal was out, so we're playing catch up."

I looked over in shock as we climbed into the SUV, wondering why someone like Salvatore would be out. He's here before anyone else and stays exceptionally late, sometimes, past eleven per Vittoria. Closing the door, I shyly smiled at the driver before turning my attention back to the conversation.