𝘊𝘏𝘈𝘗𝘛𝘌𝘙 𝘛𝘏𝘙𝘌𝘌

。・:*˚:✧。
INVISIBLE STRING
———— act one. gold rush
CHAPTER THREE ─── being known is terrifying only in the best ways
to listen to ➺ brighter than the sun by colbie calliat

 gold rushCHAPTER THREE ─── being known is terrifying only in the best waysto listen to ➺ brighter than the sun by colbie calliat

i was very young when I was cracked open. some things you should let go of, others you shouldn't. views differ as to which. i keep hold of everything, just in case. 

— emily berry, the numbers game

LIVING ON AN ISLAND OFF THE EAST COAST HAD ITS POSITIVES. Being away from the mainland meant that during most of the year, residents didn't have to worry about overcrowding. When vacation season was over, the bustle of the island was kept to a minimum.

Being surrounded by water on all sides meant that the population of Kildare got to know each other pretty well. If anyone needed something done, you could always count on someone who knew someone.

And, of course, it meant that surfing was a must-have hobby for most kids growing up in The Banks.

As Josie ran down the front steps of the Wreck, she couldn't help the excited whoop that left her mouth the moment she caught sight of the Twinkie. For the last half hour of her shift, she'd been bouncing in her shoes as adrenaline simmered in her gut. The promise of surfing an insane swell had her giddily excited.

Rain slapped down hard against the pavement, but it only aided in Josie's racing heartbeat. She all but sprinted toward the sliding door of her friend's van and yanked it open, throwing herself into the back.

"Hello boys!" She slid the door shut behind her, grinning widely as she glanced at the boys in the front.

Once settled, her eyes flittered around to note that she was the only one occupying the back. She knew Kiara wouldn't join them, as Josie had just bid her goodbye not two minutes prior. Kie had stayed behind to help her parents storm-prep the restaurant.

But the lack of a blond surfing fanatic had Josie reeling in confusion.

She crawled toward the front and leaned in between the seats. Her brows raised as she shot both boys a puzzled look. The lack of chaotic energy was unnerving. "JJ's not coming? Since when does he miss a surf?"

"Since he got shitfaced so hard, he passed out on my couch." John B chuckled as he turned to greet her with a pogue handshake. She then turned to Pope when they'd finished, brows raised in query.

He raised his hands in surrender and shook his head. "Don't look at me; I told you when he texted earlier that he was smashed." Josie rolled her eyes; nevertheless, she accepted the explanation.

JJ had texted her during her shift to ask if she wanted to surf the swell coming in, and it was easy to tell that he'd definitely been drinking. All Josie could do was laugh, especially once she'd gotten the text from Pope confirming their friend's state.