𝘊𝘏𝘈𝘗𝘛𝘌𝘙 𝘍𝘖𝘜𝘙

。・:*˚:✧。
INVISIBLE STRING
———— act one. gold rush
CHAPTER FOUR ─── blue eyes and safe smiles
to listen to ceilings by lizzy mcalpine

 gold rushCHAPTER FOUR ─── blue eyes and safe smilesto listen to ➺ ceilings by lizzy mcalpine

softness is not weakness. it takes courage to stay delicate in a world this cruel.

— beau taplin, shed your sharp edges

THE KILDARE ISLAND BOAT DOCKS WERE SIGNIFICANT TO THE LIFE OF AN OUTER BANKS RESIDENT. On any average day, if one were to walk through or pass by the docks, they'd fine them full of sailors, fishermen, and lost tourists. At times, it could be quite crowded, but it was manageable enough that there was always someone available to help.

That particular day, however, was the one right after a hurricane. So, one could imagine the hectic atmosphere swarming the docks when the group of friends arrived.

The pogues made their way toward the Coast Guard building, walking under canopies set up for all different types of storm relief. Josie felt the stressful environment influencing her own worries as she observed the troubled, panic-stricken people that begged for help.

She pulled the hat that JJ had given her further over her eyes, as she tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. The last thing she needed was to get caught by anyone who might mention her location to her mother.

In passing, she overheard people mention that they were looking for their lost loved ones. She strained to listen as the Coast Guard radioed in through their walkie-talkies to help find and save whoever they could.

But there were only so many of them that could help, compared to the number of people who'd shoved themselves into the building.

As the five of them navigated through the crowd, Josie was able to catch the sounds of a woman at the desk who begged for someone to help search for her diabetic dog.

It made her heart clench in sorrow. She felt for all of the animals and people that were lost and scared out there, looking for their own loved ones after the storm. And she silently thanked whoever that she'd woken up that morning with their cat in her bed.

They approached the help desk, and Josie watched as John B tried to gain the attention of the desk attendant, to no avail. "Hey, excuse me."

JJ picked up a pen from the desk to mess with while he also tried to speak up. "Hey man, we found a boat-" He'd also been cut off by the worker, who continued to converse with the distressed woman.

Josie too tried, but her slight calls predictably fell on deaf ears.

"You're gonna wanna hear this." That time John B tried to get out that they had found a sunken boat, the attendee snapped at him and told him to calm down. Even though, Josie sharply noted, her friend's tone showed no sign of obnoxiousness.