Chapter One

It might have been clever of me to try distance myself from my brother when I had the chance. I should have known considering how annoying he was to me that he would be much worse with people that were not related to him. Stupidly, I sat awkwardly next to him on the train, not talking to his friends- the very people who were supposed to be my friends. No. Not supposed to be but perhaps my parents wouldn't be upset if they were to become my friends. It was a shame I didn't like them really. Just another disappointing factor to my parents. Just another stain of shame on the Malfoy family.

It had been when Draco had rudely introduced himself to Harry Potter that I had realised that I should probably not mention my being a Malfoy often. My family had been regarded as very high status and so I had been fooled into thinking that I should be proud of my last name, my relatives, my life. It took me a while to realise but my family was just as arrogant as any other pure blood, self-acclaimed righteous of the wizarding world. After uncovering the part about being ex-death eaters though was when I no longer hung my head at being a disappointment. For if I were a disappointment to a family that cowered with fear under a master with such ghastly intentions then I was not a disappointment to myself. Perhaps it was this distain for the way my family was, no, is which had landed me in Gryffindor, sat next Harry Potter himself. As if the universe was trying to find another way to distance myself from my dreadful family, Draco was put in to Slytherin just as the whole family had before him. Well, until me of course.

I had thought myself brave after my very obvious defiance of my family's supposed rules. Certainly, the sorting hat must of also felt it, else I would not be sat on the Gryffindor table with my supposed brother glaring at me as if I could of changed the sorting hat's decision or as if I could just outright not accept it.

"I'm surprised the sorting hat put you in here." The voice comes from a couple seats down. A Weasley I assume. Like my brother had said earlier, as much as I wish he were not right, it is remarkably easy to tell them by their red hair. Despite knowing his last name, I did not know his first name.

My reply comes out less confidently then I had hoped. "I managed to break a weird tradition, and I am glad about it." I would not hide my emotions to anyone. I owed my logical side enough to know that my feelings only made the logic more undeniable.

"You sound like you fit in here at least Y/N Malfoy." The identical Weasley next to him chirps. He looks at me interested which makes me a little uncomfortable. I shift in my seat.

I became aware of how obvious my nerves must sound to these people so I raise my voice enough so they can hear me. "It seems hardly fair that everyone knows my name because of the sorting, yet i still only know the few of you that were sorted with me."

"Well I guess introductions are in order. I'm Fred of course." This comes from the first twin. His hair is a mess though I have a feeling it may be styled that way because it frames his freckled face. He looks masculine, yet his hair gives of a boyish vibe to him. The rest of them introduce themselves and I feel slightly less alone because none of them seem to mind that I, a Malfoy, was sorted into Gryffindor. Thankfully the feast was soon over. I was tired and wanted to find rest after this long, complicated day.

Hours later I sat in what was to be my bed for as long as I attended this school. My head had not gotten the memo to be silent of thoughts. The slow, steady snores of the other girls in my room were oddly comforting. I had never slept in a room with more than just myself, even my owl had a separate room to mine. I was coming to realise how refreshing it felt to not be on guard all the time. As nerve racking as it was, I was glad I did not have to pretend to be a perfect pureblood here. I was going to really love it here.