Chapter Four

Authors Note

If it seems like my chapters are short, that's because they are, it takes me a while to write a chapter and so I'm posting smaller chapters so I don't keep people waiting too long. Sorry about it but I still hope you like this and like imaging yourself in this story.

Only one word can describe the atmosphere when I wake up the next morning. Chaos. Bustling around me are my roommates. They pay no attention to me however as I assume they are rushing to get ready for something. Drowsily I look at the clock and realise they are getting ready for breakfast.

I sit up and Hermione looks at me slightly annoyed. "Finally you are up. I would've waken you if I didn't know you needed the sleep and I was also getting ready. Sorry about that," Her words trip over each other as if she is nervous.

"No, I am sorry about yesterday. It was irresponsible of me to do what I did and then expect people to care for me as if I am some sort of child."

Despite the fact she is still dressing herself, her attention stays on me. I find her focus sort of flattering in a way. As if she cares about the words coming out my mouth. or the person saying them. "Of course, that's what friends are for, Y/N." Her words radiate in my chest and cause my heart to beat faster. I hope like hell that her words are truthful. We were friends? Me, a Malfoy, and Hermione Granger, the smartest witch in every class. She beat any Ravenclaw I'd seen so far. The witch standing in front of me was brilliant, and she considered me a friend of hers. Pride swelled within me. The tiny voice in my head tells me that I don't deserve friends but I try to quickly shut it down. I can't mope right now. I needed to get ready for breakfast.

In the Great Hall the chatter was loud but comfortable in the sense that it made me happy to be around pleasant people for a change. Hermione sat next to me today and I couldn't help but notice how her hair fell, slightly frizzy, across her face when she leaned over. Before I could stop myself, my hand rose to push it behind her ear.

"Sorry, I thought it might be bothering you." My words seemed timid. I was suddenly aware of the fact we had only been friends for a couple hours officially and that I might have already messed it up.

Fortunately her reply was an polite "Thankyou," and not a yelling about touching her hair without asking. I thought I may have seen some pink in her cheeks before she looked away.

From the corner of my eye I could see Fred watching me. I figured that I should probably talk to him about yesterday- to explain. I announced to Hermione, Harry-who was kind to me despite not liking my brother, his logic being that I couldn't be that bad if I was sorted into Gryffindor- and Ron that I was going to the bathroom. I locked eyes with Fred again to signal that I wanted him to follow me and I got up from the table.