Airy-Centric | Everything Disappears When You Come around

Word Count: 672
Tags: Major character death, implied references to death, self-reflection, drabble.
-

Airy didn't have anything for him in this world.

Day in, day out- nothing happens to him.

Work is fine, his parents are fine. No siblings to go to and no aunts or uncles, grandparents long dead; there was no family to report to.

As a child, what he most looked forward to was the regular camping trips with his parents when they managed to find the time. Yet, with the responsibilities of being an adult, there was no time in his schedule for him to go camping just as he did when he was younger. Airy doubts that his parents would like to go camping at their age, anyway.

And Airy knew that even now, his parents didn't offer much in terms in company.

With no hobbies and no friends, he'd love a break from his job, really, yet the only thing that occupied him was the radio- and oh, he couldn't stand doing nothing. Airy's mind tends to wander to dangerous places if he wasn't focusing on something, he couldn't just sit and think.

But when he was out driving on winding roads that take hours upon hours to traverse, pounds upon pounds of packages that he has been tasked to transport, a solid destination in his mind; everything seemed to melt away.

He was no God, he was no mastermind, he was nothing. He was the same as everyone else who has walked upon Earth, with the same responsibilities and grievances as them.

Airy's mind lulls once he hits the road and there is nothing, the only thing on his mind is reaching the destination.

His parents haven't called him in months, or perhaps it was him who hasn't called back.

He is just him, himself, alone.

Airy's life was bleak, nothing happened to him. The same as any other object, the same as-

Truck's have always been difficult to stop, even with emergency brakes. When he crashes, perhaps it was a drunk driver, perhaps it was just a sister with an absent mother.

Airy lived his life out as boring as it could get. No family, no friends. He does not wake up when his glass shatters.

There are no recoveries, there are no mistakes.

His death is the same as any other object, he is not special. 

His death is the same as S-

They say death is a Heaven or Hell situation. They say that, before you die, you are greeted with the most beautiful memories that your body will ever remember. They say that when you die, there is nothing. They say that-

Airy wakes up to a blank room with two chairs. People are screaming, pushing, crying- people who have died at the same exact time as Airy, people who have had their story told out. They are rushing, calling out names in desperation, screaming out about homes that they used to go to, once lively and now desolate with their absence.

And Airy sees it- sees how their eyes light up when they see someone off in the distance in the ambient room. He looks, yet there's no one. Sees no one he could call out for, sees no one to call home.

They all run, yet Airy stays with the music.

Always seeming to rely on melodies than people, the silence is now deafening in the never-ending room that seemed ever-expanding.

It takes a short moment, yet Airy gathers that he's dead.

It's no surprise to him. Of course he was going to die, of course he has died. Life had nothing planned for him because he was the same as thousands of other people, making it day-to-day with nothing that meant anything to them.

Fiddling with the dial, Airy stopped at a random string of numbers before grabbing the metal- aiming it straight up to the beautiful orange sky. He hears a noise, a faint lulling static, and as if he blinked- he is gone, away from the room.

The radio stays put. An Out, a second chance at death.