Chapter 7

Katherine took a deep breath and walked into the coffee shop both nervous and excited. This is it. Today is the day I can finally meet her and get my answers.  Katherine thought as she looked around. Maybe she regrets leaving me? Does she wonder how I am or where I am? Should I have messagee her first? My stomach is in knots.  There were three waitresses and one looked at her and walked towards her with a warm smile. She looked like someone in her late twenties or slightly older. She had short curly blond hair and dark brown eyes and small thin lips.

"Hey there, darlin'" The woman said in a thick country accent as Katherine looked at her name tag and read it. Tori. "Will it just be you today?" Tori asked. 

"I'm looking for a woman who works here." Katherine gulped.

"Who?" Tori asked and raised her eyebrow.

"Maggie Stewart." Katherine answered.

"Okay, I'll go get her." Tori responded. "Go and sit somewhere, okay?" Tori asked.

"Sure thing." Katherine said with a small smile and nodded and then looked around and sat down on an empty booth and waited for a few minutes. Then a waitress with short, gray hair walked towards Katherine.

"Maggie Stewart?" Katherine replied.

"Yeah," Maggie answered with a warm smile. "You asked for me?"

"It's me, mom," Katherine sighed. "I'm Katherine Becker, I'm your daughter."

Maggie's face quickly fell as her eyes widened and her jaw dropped, her face was white as a ghost as the shock washed over her.

"Is this a bad time?" Katherine asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Maggie answered and slowly nodded. "I just started my shift."

"Can I come back later then?"

"Why are you here?" Maggie asked as she crossed her arms. 

"I came to you for answers." Katherine answered. "You are the only one who can answer my questions."

"Are you new in town?"

"I'm going on a road trip but I wanted to finally meet you." Katherine answered.

"So, you are just passing by here?"

"Yes."

"My shift ends at nine, think you can come back here and we can talk?" Maggie asked. "I'm closing but I will let you in."

That's fine," Katherine responded and nodded. "I'll be back at nine." Katherine finished and quickly got up & left.