12

Aizawa:

The weather was souring. A slight improvement from the snow and below zero temperatures I supposed but incessant rain and chilling winds made it hard to stand out on the balcony for longer than a quarter of an hour.

As I exhaled, my breath came out in a white mist, directly contrasting the black of the night. I scanned the streets below, content with the lack of activity as the clock hands neared the strike of midnight.

In the reflection of a parked car below, the smallest dots of white informed me of the presence of stars in the night sky. I tilted my head up, my vision suddenly illuminated by a full moon that progressively climbed into the height of the sky.

The last time the moon showed so confidently was... That night. Without its generous light, I never would've seen her blending into the shadows so expertly. At the time, my heart had seized and my mind had been convinced she was just an illusion. Something about the moon had drawn her too, otherwise she never would've turned to view it, confirming my suspicions that it was in fact her standing not too far from me.

Y/N.

My hands fiddled with the folded paper in my pocket, pulling it out for the millionth time and tracing the scribble of her handwriting. This was perhaps the only piece of physical evidence that signified her existence in my world. The search for any information about her was completely fruitless which made her a bigger secret than she already was.

My secret.

The phone started ringing. I jumped.

Reluctantly, I stepped away from the balcony and into the marginally warmer living room of my apartment. Living in UA's dorms had become impossible due to the constant failure of the heating system. Not to mention the babysitting of my classes that I didn't remember being in the job description.

By the time I reached my phone, I had hoped the caller was severely impatient and had hung up but I was out of luck. Checking the caller ID, I was hardly surprised at the name flashing on my screen.

Hizashi (Mic)

"I knew you'd be up Shota!" yelled HIzashi down the phone. I winced.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I can hear you just fine when you talk at a normal volume?" I responded with a sigh.

"Right, right. Sorry!" he howled a laugh. "Anyways, you should check the news man. Something is going on in your area, looks sketchy."

I frowned, finding it unusual that a common commotion in my area would make it onto the news. As Hizashi yapped in my ear, I switched the television on.

A red banner flashed across the screen, the words 'BREAKING NEWS' rolling over and over again. My frown deepened.

...

'We interrupt this broadcast with some breaking news! Reports are coming in that a mysterious blackout has overtaken a neighbourhood in the south of Musutafu, particularly well known for the various privately owned villas in the area. The cause of the blackout is currently unknown as we are receiving new information on the situation live. I'll be handing over to our reporters which are currently circling over the area to provide you with only the best updates!'

'Thank you Yuno! We are currently hovering over the neighbourhood where a seemingly black cloak has completely concealed what lies beneath it. This is a strange phenomenon which we are told has nothing to do with the weather nor a power outage. In fact, we are being led to believe that this is the product of a quirk, presumably one out of control.'