18

6 months later

February flashed by like a dream.

March was melancholic, and rather lonely.

April's spring was bird songs and people.

May was refreshing and hopeful.

June's ascent into summer was warm on the face and happy on the heart. I made friends.

July was sunlight reflecting on surfaces in rainbows and dreams of love.

Today, I lazily flick through a magazine and tune my ears into the radio playing today's weather forecast. The temperature would only rise from here on out. I groan, pulling the fabric of my tank top away from my hot skin.

My butt was beginning to sweat from having been sitting at the front desk since the morning. I get up, fanning my flowy skirt out with a happy twirl and begin dusting off the surface of the desk.

Business had been slow recently as most people were flying off on holidays or cooped up inside with their fans on maximum power. Madame MeiMei had been incessantly chasing me up to dust down the store as I'd been putting it off since the last spring clean. Her allergies had been acting up however, so I didn't argue.

I glimpse out the windows looking out onto the street and capture a pure blue sky, not a cloud in sight. I wanted to be out there realistically but my responsibilities came first and Madame would no doubt take us out on a picnic later as she had promised. The reminder got me excited.

Since the Shie Hassaikai ordeal, I'd found safety in an old, vintage bookstore where Madame MeiMei had granted me a place to live above the shop with her. In return, I would earn my keep by running the shop and she would entrust me with a monthly allowance.

Madame was a god send. I had stumbled out of the wreckage of the gang's house coughing and spluttering as dust choked up my lungs. Then, I ran until my eyes were splotchy with black spots and my lungs were wheezing. Rain had drenched my torn clothes to my skin and cleansed my stinging cuts and wounds.

The doorstep I'd stumbled into to shield myself from the chilly downpour was none other than Once Upon A Time. Dark rain clouds had accumulated overhead, dimming the street but not quite able to dampen the light of this place. A soft golden glow shone in the windows with a flurry of other rich colours coming from the books and the fancy lamps within.

I eyed the place curiously. A gentle piece of music filtered through the door that was nudged open. Somehow, I felt as if I was dreaming. This store was the only thing visibly alive in the street with its welcoming and bright aura. I remembered the warmth of it radiating through the door, that gilded glow through the windows inviting me in.

The last thing I wanted to do was bump into someone that would cause me trouble but something about this bookstore had dragged me in like a moth to a flame. Upon turning the handle weakly, a bell tinkled above and effectively startled me inside. The tinkle of the bell was soon forgotten as I passed my gaze over all the wonderfully bizarre items displayed around me.

I stood on shaky legs, using the nearest bookshelf as a crutch while my eyes adjusted to the new environment. Immediately, the aroma of cookies and sweet candles and old books engulfed me.

Wooden animals marching behind one another were dotted on various shelves and tables; light bulbs in the shapes of stars and leaves and planets hung from the ceiling; flowers and paintings covered every surface, the brown vintage wallpaper just barely having a chance to shine with all the decorations it held. The place was filled to the brim with the strangest objects.