13

The sound of a heartbeat racing boomed against my ear. It was faster than mine, somewhat panicked. I tapped my finger up and down in sync with it in hopes it would take my mind off of the pain assaulting my body.

“That’s it. Stay with me. I need you to stay with me, ok?” said that voice.

His voice was perfectly low, curing the ringing in my ears. I would do whatever he said. I’d stay with him forever.

My eyelids were being weighed down by an immovable force so I settled with a soft ‘Mm’ in response. The body that held me close, arms supporting my back and beneath my legs, physically sighed. He murmured to himself, walking us away from the chilly doorway and further into a warm environment I immediately liked.

“What happened?” asked Aizawa, the sound of it coming out slightly pained.

“They found out. They knew I was meeting with a hero,” I whispered weakly. Noticing that he was showing no signs of relaxing, I lifted a hand to his chest right above where his heart drummed. “It’s ok.”

Nothing about this is ok,” he gritted out angrily.

I’d never heard him take such a tone. Aizawa had only ever been in control of his emotions, always appearing calm and collected. As I contemplated what it meant, he set me down on a soft surface that I assumed was a mattress. I sighed contently at how nice it felt to not be dumped on a lumpy, hard surface like usual.

Aizawa’s footsteps retreated in a hurry, making me open my eyes a crack to study my surroundings. Beneath me was a large bed within a room dimly lit by a lamp to my left. Was it his room? Just as I missed his presence, he reappeared in the doorway with a green box.

Our eyes connected. His widened, a flash of relief visible in their darkness. Immediately, Aizawa hurried to sit by my side, setting the box down and opening it with little hesitation. Inside, I identified various pieces of medical equipment and bandages.

“I hate to ask this of you but I need you to stay awake until I know where exactly you're hurt. Can you do that for me?” he asked, taking my cheek gently in his hands.

I nodded silently, immediately feeling some of the strain on my body melt away at his touch. I licked my lips wet before sucking in a deep breath and giving him a starting point. “Ribs. Took a few bad kicks in the abdominal area.”

The low lighting worked to cast shadows over the structure of his face, illuminating his tensely clenched jaw. When I spoke, his eyes burned into mine, a panicked rage set in them that made me somewhat nervous.

“Is it ok if I check under your shirt?”

“Well if you don’t want me to die then you’ve got no choice,” I joked, attempting to alleviate the thick tension in the air.

He grimaced, a muscle in his jaw ticking simultaneously. “Don’t… Not the time, love. Please.”

“Sorry,” I whispered back gently, my cheeks warming at the endearment he used.

His fingers approached the bottom of my shirt, hesitantly taking the fabric and lifting slowly. Aizawa met my eyes once more, asking for further confirmation that he was ok to proceed. I nodded, not allowing a single thing to affect the trust I was putting in him.

Air brushed over my skin lightly as he pushed my shirt up to below my chest. I couldn’t bear to look at the injury. I had concluded from the pain it was causing me that it likely looked quite unpleasant. Aizawa hissed at the sight of it, his fingers fisting the fabric of my shirt tightly without noticing.

He murmured something under his breath resulting in me chancing a look at his expression. The look on his face was plain murderous, something you would rarely see on the face of a hero.