14

Perhaps it wasn’t the adrenalin and drug remnant in my system but more so the lack of human warmth that had kept me up. Shota kissed me till my eyes were heavy with the desire to sleep, only then did he carry my limp body back to the bedroom he had provided me with.

I vaguely remembered holding onto him before he left, a gesture he correctly interpreted as me wanting him to remain with me. That certainly explained why I found my head laying on his thigh in the morning. Shota was sitting upright, back against the headboard of the bed with papers in one hand. The other was lightly brushing over my hair, tickling my ear every so often and effectively pulling me out of my slumber.

A breeze blew into the room, fluttering the sheer white curtains and offering the smallest glimpse of a blue sky paired with the morning sun. The rays of light scattered over various surfaces in the bedroom, some reflecting off glass into rainbows and others dancing on our skin as we lay in bed.

Upon noticing my eyes opening, Shota tilted his head to meet my eyes. He offered me a rare smile, one I would surely ponder over later and question whether it were simply a dream.

“Good morning,” murmured the Pro-Hero in a soft manner.

“That it is,” I agreed, my voice minutely deeper with the effects of sleep.

He chuckled. I smiled.

Looking away from him, I attempted to conceal the evident heat on my face at the intimacy of the moment. It was unreal, something straight out of my imagination. Things like this weren’t supposed to manifest into real life, that’s why they were dreams.

Shota shifted until he had set the papers to the side, sliding down the bed till he was laying beside me. His head was perched up on his arm as he ran that dark gaze over me. Something intensified in his eyes when they reached my neck. Without noticing, I reached up and trailed my fingers over where his lips had been on my skin just the night before.

Suddenly, I couldn’t muster the courage to face him. With every passing second, memories flitted by behind my eyes from all the ways he had touched me. It was new to me and I liked it but it undoubtedly made me nervous.

“Don’t go all shy on me,” he teased, reaching for a strand of my hair and twirling it around his finger.

“You have an extremely intense way of looking at people, Shota,” I informed him as I chanced a look up.

“Only towards you,” countered the hero.

“Well that isn’t fair, is it?”
“Perhaps not but it works in my favour.”

“How come?” I asked.

“I’m sure not many can say they’ve seen you flustered,” he answered flirtatiously.

I narrowed my eyes at him humorously. “That’s because not many have seen me at all.”

“I’m not all too concerned with the details,” he joked.

I couldn’t contain the laughter bubbling up my throat. Shota’s presence had always been this way before we were under the pressure of being caught meeting and sneaking about. My chest was light, my heart fluttering with a rare happiness that made me want to smile without restraint.

In my hazy, sleep clouded vision, the room was of the softest morning yellows. Beams of sunlight sliced through the open windows and bathed the room in an early summer. I inhaled the scent of the air, smelling a flowery detergent from the sheets and the unmistakable masculine smell I’d always associated with Shota. He watched me as I observed our surroundings, taking in the way light refracted and freckled his porcelain skin with gold.