CHAPTER 4 : Never seen someone rock Red Blazer .

It's been exactly 1 year and 136 days since we last spoke for the last time. If I said that we didn't see each other in the hallway, that we ignore the others presence in an event or didn't look at each other while writing test papers then I'd be lying because that's what we were reduced to .

I look in the mirror for the final check . Pushing the lip balm in my purse, I leave my house to go to school for our farewell party . I wanted to wear my mom's new blue saree but Disha said she wanted to go with the blue one , so I'm wearing a yellow kanjeevaram saree with my hairs up in a bun .
I saw him standing alone in the corner near the tree in the very back of the quadrangle where the speeches are being delivered. I look down at my hand and find it shaking from nerves , this is so creepy , I wish I could back out right now but that would be more humiliating ,what can I do ?
I look at Zaheer and find him already looking at me with the same strange look but there is something different in that look now there's something bitter in it that I can't locate the reason for. I look away with determination. If he wants me away , I'll go after him then.

" Now ,I present to you our dearest student  of class X- B Avya Krishna Murthy . "
The ground bursts with applauds as I make my way towards the stage . Holding the mic all I can see is Zaheer and how breathtaking he looks in his red blazer jacket , I look away towards Disha whose holding a camera and clicking pictures already. Okay so this is the moment.

" Good morning ladies and gentlemen , I thank you Principal Patil to give me the honour to address the situation in our hand . As we all know this the last official day of our school life or as the banner behind me says 'farewell '. But what does farewell really mean ? Dictionary says - it's an act of parting. But are we really parting , I mean our ways are definitely going to be different and I know we will promise each other to remain in touch and never forget the bond we have but seriously do these promises last ? I don't know . So let's take a step towards completing this promise , there are notepads and pens for all of us here ,collect them and note down your friends number to always remain in touch ,to have some kind of way to reach out to one another , let's break the chain of what if's and let's remember each other -"

I look at Zaheer ,take a deep breath . " Let's not forget that someone here loves someone and may realise their feelings late ." Zaheer turns from his position near the tree and makes his way towards the building. " Okay everyone,Have a great future ahead." I get down from the stage .
" What a lovely thought,  Ms. Avya . Okay students, please collect your notepads and pen from the front desk and enjoy . " The anchor says as I follow Zaheer to the boy's washroom. Luckily there is no one here .
" Zaheer , zahee-"
He turns around with a frown on his face .
" What, Avya ?" He nearly growls the words out with his forehead crunched .
" It's nice to see you today, I almost thought you wouldn't come . " I lean against the opposite wall facing him .
" Someone made me . " He says , maybe regretting his decision.
" I'm glad someone made you come , you look good . Red suits you. " I say totally checking him out .
" It's my mother's favourite colour . Says red colour is just like humans hides a lot of emotions. " He says leaning against the opposite wall .
" That's quite ...deep ."
He smiles at that and that smile makes me realise this is the first time I've seen him smile since that day .
" You should smile more often , it makes you look less miserable. "
He laughs at that . He steps forward towards me and places a strand of hair that came out of my bun behind my ears . His eyes roam all over my face .
" You look really beautiful today ,Avya . Hell, you look gorgeous all the time . "
" I bet you wouldn't say that if you saw me in the morning when I wake up . "
" I would give up anything to see you every morning. " I look up at him expecting him to laugh but his expressions are so serious it makes me nervous.
I press the notepad and pen on his chest . He looks at my hand and then at my face curiosily .
" Can I have your digits , Zaheer . " His lips turn up in the corners in amusement.
" No , I don't just want to be in your memory ,Avya ,stashed under your books in a dusty shelf . I wanna be in your speed dial , I want my gallery to be filled with your photos . You don't understand I don't want you 'in' my life because you have become my life . "

His words send electricity straight to my toes . I think the temperature leaped in the bathroom by about 100 °C .
I take a step forward ,we are just inches away now . So close that I can the hazel specks in his darkened eyes and the slight crookedness of his nose the only imperfection on his otherwise perfect face .
" So what are you suggesting ? You want us to ...."
" Start dating or be in a relationship or get married. Whatever I don't care , I just want to be with you . I want to consume your thoughts like you do mine ,I want to know your thoughts , I want to do things I've dreamed about . But now , seeing you so close , inhaling in your scent , it just makes me want to kiss you . I want to kiss you so badly I think I might get sick if I don't-"
Before he finishes his sentence I press my lips against his , close my eyes ,place my hands on his shoulder. I open my eyes and I pull away , his eyes are still closed when his hands come up to his lips like he can't believe if what's happening is real or not . He opens his eyes and looks straight in mine .
" Was this what you wanted ?" I say suddenly breathless . He brings a hand up to my face and wipes something off it .
" This and so much more . "
" So are we ... now ...  a -"
" Can I be your boyfriend ?" I smile at that .
" Yes , Zaheer . " I basically squeal .
" Thank heavens, Arche . " Confusion catches my features .
" Why , why do you call me that ?"
" Arche , oh I didn't tell you it's the meaning of your name in Greek language , Origin . " That was not what I was expecting.
" What , that makes me wonder what you do all day . " I say , curious about how he knows this .
" Nothing important." He shrugs .
" Does that mean I have to give you a name too ?"
" No there's no need I just came across it , while reading Greek mythology. " Oh , so that's how he knows it.
" That's.... great . "
" You can say boring, I won't mind . "
I look at him and we both burst into laughter.

That's how we started , that's how all the forever promises started which I didn't know then that we both are going to break .
That's how a new chapter of my life started

_________________________________________