Chapter 5 :Can't say no to Ice-creams.

The telephone rings two times , I rush downstairs and press the receiver to my ear .
" Hello .. " a deep voice drawls through the speaker.
I smiled at the familiar voice and replied " Hello."
I look around to make sure no one's listening.
" Arche , Where are you ? Ice cream today."
I hear footsteps in the kitchen and quickly drop the receiver with a thud .

" What's going on in there ? " My mom's voice booms through the kitchen .

" Nothing. Maybe it's the wind . " I cover hastily.

" Shut the windows then , Bujhi . "
" MOM , I'm on the phone . " OH SHIT

" Who are you on the phone with?" Her tone full on suspicious.
" It-its uhh DISHA . Yes Disha . It's Disha. "
" Okay , end it quick . "
" Yes , Mom . "

I place the receiver to my chest and giggle like a 12 year old . He's been finding reasons to meet me since the last day of board exams . Yesterday it was a doubt in a question, before that his bike, which he had just learnt two weeks ago, broke down in front of my house and before that he brought cakes.
I place the receiver to my ear again and reply , " Be there in 5 ."

I practically run to the front door and call for my mom while putting my shoes on .
" Mom , I'm going to Disha's , her mother bought ice creams . " I inform her .
" When will you come home ?" She asks her typical question .
" I'll be back soon . Bye ."
" Come home quickly, your father said we'll be having dinner out tonight . "
" That's great ." I run towards her and hug her .
" I know but there will be a grand celebration when you score well on your boards , Bujhi." My smile falls at that , I turn to walk away .
" Wait , Mom , there are some gulab jamuns leftover from last night , right ?"
" Yes , why ?"
" Can you pack some I want to take them with me ?"
" Why ?" Because Zaheer loves them .
" Because Disha loves them . She can eat 10 at a time . "
" Okay , but I'll only pack 5 your father didn't eat any at all . " She says making her way to the kitchen.
" That's fine just be quick . " After a minute ,I take the box from her and take a look at myself in the mirror on our door and head towards our secret spot . I text Disha on my way .
When I reach there , he was already sitting on the bench in the most isolated spot of the park, chewing his fingernails. I close the distance and say ," It's a bad habit you know . " He looks up at me and smiles . I take my place beside him and place the box of gulab jamuns in between us .
" What's this ?"
" I brought something for you . Open it and see it for yourself. " He opens it and -
" Gulab jamuns, how did you know I liked them ?" He squeals ,like literally squeals.
" I know you love them . "
" Thankyou , Arche ." I giggle at the nickname. He starts eating them .
" Where is my reward ?" I wiggle my eyebrows and he laughs at that .
" Which flavour do you like ?"
" Chocolate but I have to eat whatever flavour you bought . " He laughs harder and places a bag full of ice creams of all different flavours.
" Well I was kinda hoping you won't say butterscotch but that's just what flavour would you like to eat first because you have to finish all the five ice creams "
" I can't eat all of it , what if I fall sick ?"
" I'll bring you cold syrup tomorrow then ."
I laugh at that . But my face falls .
" I can't eat so much , I'll not be able to eat dinner then . We are going to a restaurant you know . " He suddenly becomes reserved at that .
" Okay , don't eat all of it but atleast eat three of them . I bought it with my allowance. " He says, his voice dropping.
" I'll eat four then . " I stick my tongue out , his eyes focus on my mouth and he looks away quickly and starts to unwrap the chocolate cone .
" Thankyou Zaheer . " I say when he hands me my ice cream.
" You don't have to thank me for just an icecream. "
" I'm thanking you for the popsicle and for sitting with me that day it really cheered me up. " The corner of his lips turn up .

" For how long did you know about the popsicle and how ?" He asks , slightly curious .

" Just, in the 9th grade , you drew your initials on the desk ." He nods and starts to unwrap his butterscotch ice cream. I'm halfway through my ice cream when it clicks me .

" You won't tell me what you were thanking me for back then ?" I don't need to explain when as understanding flicks in his eyes .

" I was thanking you for standing up for me that day ." He sees the confusion clear in my face and scoffs .

" You might not remember but that was the day I fell for you , Arche. The second day after our Christmas break was over in our fifth grade, we were standing in a line in the corridor for our lunch to be served ,you were just before me in the line but I didn't notice you until later , some girl pushed me knocking me to the floor and ruined by lunch box with all of its contents on the floor , that's when you came held your hand for me to take and you gave me your lunch box and picked up mine telling me to go to my class and you would take care of everything. " He smiles and it looks like he's living that moment again .

" You were taking care of me when my own father looks at me with disgust -" He looks at me and laugh nervously , brings his hands up to my cheek ,runs his thumb over my cheekbone .

" What about your father-" He stands up.

" Nothing Avya, I don't want to talk about my family. " I respect his boundaries even if it pains me to know that his father doesn't like him and curiosity is itching me to question more but I keep my lips tight shut .

I sigh , hold his hand brings to my lips and kiss him there .

" I remember that day even if it wasn't like you think it was but I do remember giving you my lunch box . "
" How was it then ?"
" The girl who pushed you was my nemesis so I told the teacher that she pushed me and my lunchbox broke and I would starve all day . I began to cry so she gave her detention and bought lunch for me . " He looks shocked and then starts laughing.

" I thought you were brave that day but you were cunning. " He says in between all the laughing .

" She was mean to me all the time , so I thought of framing her . It was her fault after all." I frown .
He stands up, picks up the wrappers and empty box , puts them in the plastic bag, throws them in the bin and walks towards me .
He motions me to stand up , I stood up never taking my eyes off him , waiting for him to say goodbye.
He hugs me with his head on my shoulders and hands wrapped around my back , I place my hands on his shoulder and inhale his scent , he always smells so good . I feel him kiss my cheek . He steps back , takes out the keys to his bike and says ," Bye , Arche . Meet you tomorrow. "
" Goodbye , Zaheer ." I starts walking towards my house . I turn around to see him leaning against his bike waiting for me to turn around the corner , I wave at him .
" I love you, Arche . "
I stop and smile at him unable to produce any tangible sound from my mouth .
He laughs and gets on the bike , I turn around the corner.
Days pass until the day when our results were going to be announced came.

_________________________________________