chpt_twenty.eight

87 miles north of northern greenland

The door to the base slammed shut behind Bucky as he shoved his hands into his coat pocket. A below-freezing wind pushed his hair back and he squinted at the cold temperature. Overhead, gray clouds blocked the sun, and soft snowflakes fluttered around him.

It had been two days since Sam returned with the fuel and supplies, but no one had any idea what to do. And Bucky didn't voice that they couldn't stay there forever, and they couldn't bring Kiara back home to the U.S. to try and figure out things from a place where they might have more resources. It was beginning to seem like the end of the line with her, and he wasn't ready to admit that himself, let alone speak it. He would think of something.

Kiara's fresh foot prints in the snow was Bucky's only clue on where she'd went, and he followed it for a few minutes before he saw a dark figure sitting on a rock that jutted out from the snow banks. He purposely made as much noise in the iced over snow as he could while walking toward her.

"Leave me alone," She said when she heard the footsteps.

"Are you planning on coming inside, or freezing to death outside?" Bucky asked as he rounded the boulder.

Kiara's gaze burned into him. "You'd figure that out if I don't come back, wouldn't you?"

"What's your problem?" His annoyance got the best of him. "You've barely spoken to us since Sam got back. All you've been doing is lying in bed or sitting out here. It's like you're not even trying anymore."

"I'm not," Kiara said with a simple shrug. "Do the math, Barnes. We can't stay here forever and we can't stay on the road. You and Sam should just go back and figure things out from there. I've done my part."

Bucky's jaw clicked and his hands fisted in his pockets. "What do you mean by that? Go back where?"

"Wherever the hell you came from!" Kiara yelled, standing up. "New York, D.C., I don't give a fuck. I've given you all the information I have. I don't have anything else. Especially for you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Kiara's glare hardened even more, something Bucky didn't think was possible. And he knew exactly what she had ment by that. Because they slept together, and barely exchanged five words since.

"Kiara..." He didn't know what else to say. Well, he did. He wanted to tell her that he was an asshole and he was sorry, and that this was so hard for him. That his feelings were confusing and foreign and the man that would've been good at this died under Hydra's torture. He wanted to ask her to be patient with him so he could sort out what he felt and come up with ways to tell her. But that wouldn't be fair to her. She was hurting now. He couldn't ask her to be patient. Not right now, at least.