04

My phone alarm is basically screaming in my ear that Monday morning. My eyes slowly open and I fight the urge to let them shut again and get a few more minutes of sleep.

Pushing myself to sit up, I throw my legs over the side of my bed and stretch. Sitting at the edge of my bed for a few seconds before standing up and walking to the bathroom.

I was dreading school, although my name wasn't mentioned in the police report yesterday, I still got that feeling that I'm going to be a magnet for everyone's eyes.

I lazily brush my teeth and hair before putting my uniform on and smoothing out the collar of my shirt.

"Y/N!!" My mother sang as I heard her approach the door before knocking and opening it anyways.

"Oh honey!? I didn't think you'd want to go to school today?!" She says in shock while taking in my appearance.

"You don't have to! I really do understand that you might want a day off and-" She talks quickly.

"I'll go! its okay!" I chime in, cutting her off. I don't want things to be weird. I get what happened isn't normal but I want things to continue as normal.

My moms face looked shocked that I even wanted to go but she accepted it and tightened my tie that I had loosely around my neck.

"Would you like a ride?" She says instead of trying to change my mind. I just nod in response and move past her to grab my shoes, bag, and necessities.

I grab my keys and remember the house key was missing. I never told her about him taking it. How did that slip past my mind? How could I forget such an important detail when the police came that same night?

I bit the inside of my cheek while thinking how to bring it up. It's a danger to not tell her but also will she be upset because I hadn't said anything sooner?

I shook my head and decided that if I told her or not, it wouldn't actually change anything. She would have the doors locked regardless. She would be taking precautions regardless. She would and will worry regardless. It's just another thing on her plate and she's already stressed enough with the situation.

"Y/n?" She says poking in from the hallway and leaning against the chipped wooden door frame.

"Mhm!" I hummer back in response before turning around and putting on a smile, careful not to worry her too much.

The car ride was uncomfortably quiet. I didn't want to be left with the sounds of my paranoid thoughts running. All that was heard was the quiet ticks of the turning signals, the sounds of cars passing by, and the occasional sound of someone speeding past us with their volume at the max.

We got to the street of my school and I got out of the car, bidding my farewell before walking the rest of way and getting to school with time to spare.

As I walked through the hallways to head to class I can't help but shake the feeling that people are looking at me. I might be paranoid, it's paranoia. I'm just overthinking it. This is anxiety. I'm fine. No one is talking about me.

Then I heard my name said by one of the two girls I walked past. Okay maybe they are talking about me. Maybe I'm NOT paranoid and I'm just overly aware of the situation. This definitely is anxiety though.

I fidget with my hands and keep my head low, trying to make myself as small as possible although I know it makes no difference. I kept my eyes glued to the hem of my skirt, only trying to focus on the sounds of the heels of my shoes hitting the tiles as I walked instead of my name being tossed around but it was so difficult.

"Wasn't that her house on the news?"

"I told you she'd come today, you owe me that $5!"

"How is she even here?"

"I'm surprised he left her alive."

That last comment was like a stab to the gut. Why did he leave me alive? If he really is the man murdering all of this town's victims.. why did he spare me? Because I was able to fight back enough? What made me different? Why me?

I made it to class after what felt like forever and seen Huening bouncing his knee with his eyes glued on my empty seat in front of him. I got closer and Kai immediately stood up with his eyes wide.

"Y/N!" he yelled with relief. Loud enough for people to turn heads.

He wrapped his arms around me, my face basically suffocating in his shoulder.

"God I was SO WORRIED. WHY DIDN'T YOU ANSWER MY MESSAGES! I was so afraid something might've happened to you!" He rapidly talked as he held me tighter.

His relief hit me like a truck but I just wrapped my arms around him and let his warmth comfort me.

"I think I lost my phone.." I trailed off, recalling the disappearance of it in the car the other day.

He pulled his head away, not yet letting go of me but just enough to examine my face and smiling when he seen me and realized I'm alive and in front of him.

He pulled away completely, letting his hands run down my arms but stopping when he felt the bandage wraps around my forearms through my sleeves.

His eyes widened and pulled my sleeve up before I could protest. He looked between my own eyes and back down at my forearms a few times.

He didn't question me again but I could see his eyes get a little glassy and he pulled me into another tight hug.

The bell chimed and the heads that were still turned our way turned to the front when the home room teacher walked in and tapped her ruler on the chalkboard. 

She explains the beginning of our new unit and tells us to take out a notebook. As I'm reaching in my bag for a pencil my fingers brush against a familiar rectangular object.

I take ahold of it and pull out my phone. How did this end up in my bag? It disappeared in the car? I glance around and slide the phone into my lap.

Could it be from someone in here? I looked at any of the people who could have gotten close to me the few minutes I was in the classroom.

I turn around to look at Kai and he makes eye contact with me and gives me a smile. He wouldn't know about such a thing. Would he?

Word count: 1,137