INTRODUCTION

{INTRODUCTION}

Nickie's Ireland, 1991 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

{Welcome to Derry}

------------------------------------------------------------

The halls were pristine and tauntingly quiet inside 'Our Lady Immaculate College'. All the students were in their classes, so all Nicole Líadan Fitzpatrick could hear were the sounds of her own proper black shoes clanking across the tiled floor. To say she was nervous for her first day of school here was an understatement. Finding a bench to sit on outside the principal's office, she waited patiently to be called in like her Auntie Cara said she would be.

<✕>

Sister George Michael had arrived back from her break in the staff room, following her usual daily pattern. She hadn't expected to see a first year in a old uniform a size too big, sitting and swinging her legs around absentmindedly on the nun's favourite spruce bench. The wain looked awfully anxious, and peeking out from behind her bangs her eyes showed slight unrest and a general feeling of uneasiness. Clearing her throat, Sister Michael addressed the girl, trying not to startle her.

"Do you have a concussion?"

Snapping her head up, the little girl made awkward eye contact before shaking her head.

"No, ma'am."

"No internal bleeding?"

"Not that I know of."

The child let out a small sly smile, which confused Sister Michael a little more. Although the nun wouldn't admit it, she usually took great attention to recognize her students, and the girl in front of her was nothing short of a stranger.