It's Nun'ya Business

[It's Nun'ya Business]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circa 1994, #19 Nickie Collection! → Taken by Nickie Fitzpatrick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

<✕>

"A new school can seem like a very scarrry place! Oooo!"

Standing in rows for the school assembly, the girls and the rest of the student body were listening to Jenny Joyce give the welcome speech. Only, it was a little harder to concentrate when you can feel the lingering stare of a 6'6 Olympian beast of a girl burning holes into the back of your head. Growing more and more concerned, Clare couldn't contain herself.

"Do you think Big Mandy looks more schizo than usual?"

Hearing the whispers of their friend, Erin and Nickie turned their heads in unison, accidentally making eye contact with the sixth year. They quickly turned back around in time to see Aisling use props to aid in the presentation. 

"But right now," Jenny mused on stage, "you're like a little seed, and the school is like the soil! A safe and stable environment, within which you can grow."

"Wow," Aisling said, popping her head around a giant flower cut out she was holding, "what a wonderful way to look at it."

"Thank you," Jenny beamed.

"Thank you, girls-"

"Thank fuck."

"-Some, lovely, sentiments there. Some very beautiful words. Unfortunately, that's all they are," Sister Michael continued from behind the podium, "sentiments and words. What you've just witnessed is a piece of fiction. The reality, I'm sorry to say, is much harsher. Far more brutal. So, let me take this opportunity to advise all our new girls to keep their guard up... Watch their backs." 

There was an uneasy pause in the room. 

"Oh! Speaking of pupils that need to watch their back, I'd like to introduce James Maguire. Show yourself please, James."

Whipping her head around, Nickie peeked out in front of Michelle to take a look at the wee lad, who seemed like he was about to shit his pants or pass out. Or both. Thankfully he did neither, and instead awkwardly raised his hand. That's when everyone began to murmur. 

"James will be the first ever boy to study here at Our Lady Immaculate College. He was due to start at Christian Brother Boys, but there was serious concerns for his safety because, well unfortunately, James happens to be English."